Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Suggestions to add remote PSTN gateway

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fbreen, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fbreen

Hello,

I have a 3CX installation running on a dedicated server. We have multiple offices (in multiple countries) and my plan was to have a simple reliable phone system with remote extensions and remote gateways for local lines etc.

My question: How do i integrate local PSTN lines into the 3CX server running on the dedicated server? And what equipment do I need to make that happen?

In the location where the lines are we have a Grandstream GXW-4108 gateway which is hooked up to another local 3CX box.

regards,
    Frank.

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Well-Known Member

Frank,
    It seems like you've already answered your own question. You have GXW-4108 gateway. You need something like that (or a Patton or Sangoma card) to bring your PSTN lines in. Now whether you connect the remote gateways directly to a central 3CX box or you have a local 3CX box at each office, with local gateways, and use bridging is up to you.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. fbreen

Well the problem is the GrandStream GXW-4108 needs the 3CX box on the same network apparently... This is where I'm confused. Do I need a different gateway to get around this problem or is there another solution that I use?

4. mixig

mixig Active Member

Gateway doesn`t need to be on the same network (subnet) as 3cx if you have routing between the subnets

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

What appears to be a simple question is NOT. The gateway can be on any network, it does not need to be on the same subnet as 3CX. What you need to think about is the BW needs and callflow. Will you be recording? If so, double your call bandwidth because the RTP will travel to the 3CX server and back again to the phone. Ideally you want to keep RTP between phone and GW only.

You can configure the GXW4108/4 as a NAT router and connect over the open Internet or use a VPN. carefully valuate your network and QoS or you may end up with poor call quality.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.