Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Supported Operating Systems and PowerEdge 1750

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bridgemanusa, Mar 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bridgemanusa

Hi All:

I just bought a Dell PowerEdge 1750 (dual processors and RAID) to run a 3cx phone system on and was looking to have something cleared up. I will have about 40 users (phones) and will get a 16trunk license for 3cx but was unsure as to which OS I should install on the new box. I currently have extra licenses for XP and Windows 2000 and Vista Business but nothing for Server 2003 or 2008. Dell has hardware drivers available for Windows 2000, server 2003 and 2008. I am trying to avoid buying additional software licenses but wanted to see if anyone else here had 3CX running on a Dell 1750 OS other than a server OS.

Will 3CX run ok on Windows 2000?

Thanks in advance for looking.

2. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Answer is on wiki.3cx.com and 3cx.com/blog

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/supported-windows-versions
    Sorry, but Windows 2000 is too old.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. callworth

4. bridgemanusa

Thanks for the replies. I installed the demo version of 3cx on an extra XP laptop I had and did nothing with IIS so I assume (by default) 3CX is using Ultidev Cassini as the web server. I have setup and configured IIS on XP pro boxes before so there is no issue there but it raises the questions:

a) Can I run XP Pro and IIS and be able to handle more than 25 extensions?
    b) I understand there is a 10 user limit to web connections in IIS on XP, which is no big deal as long as my uers are not using the web interface. Is this where the "connection" issue is or are we talking SIP connections to the 3CX server?
    c) On Vista Business, do the same limitation (connections) apply with the default (Ultidev) web server or IIS?

Thanks again for your quick responses!

Eric B

5. sipero123

Hi,

If you are using XP Pro you don't get the option to use IIS when you install 3CX

Vista Business and Windows 7 do not have any IIS user limits so if you don't want to use Server 2003 or 2008 then this is probably the route to take.

Jonathan Hamon

6. bridgemanusa

Are there any performance issues with 3cx on Vista? The server will have 2gb of RAM and dual 2.8Ghz processors.

Thanks again.

7. bridgemanusa

Another quick question:

Does anyone know if additional CALs are required for Windows Server 2003 (come default with 5) if the server is being used only for 3cx?

Just wondering in case I decide to spring for 2003 Standard instead of going with Vista.

Thanks.

8. bridgemanusa

Never mind as I found out the answer from this thread:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/windows-server-cal-requirement-5176.html#p24346

Thanks again all!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.