Swapping from Skype Connect to POTS Options

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by BobD, Aug 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BobD

We have Skype Connect as our VoIP provider and the call quality is just not getting it. We never lose any calls but there are often 3-4 seconds of silence in the middle of a call. I've used the Skype Connnect Troubleshooting Guide to no avail.

We have a Cisco RV082 firewall giving priority to the VoIP LAN port and priority to VoIP traffic.
    PING times to SIP.SKYPE.COM average 57ms.
    Data is cable with max of 50MB down / 5MB up.
    Change to G.729 from G.711 on Skype Connect sessions.
    Internal station-to-station is awesome audio quality -- Polycom 335.

Anything else I can do to determine source of low quality or improve the quality?

If I order a couple of POTS from AT&T and a VOIP gateway, am I going to lose any functionality?

Bob

2. willow

willow Member

you can try to run some tests using pingtest and speedteset.net . no audio is normally thr rtp ports being out of wack either for arriving to late or just not there.

If you switch to pots lines you will lose some functionality such as caller id when ring mobile is selected and some other features revolving around that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Why don't you try other VoIP providers, like callcentric, etc. No complains about quality, etc.
    Going to POTS lines is a serious step back, but may be this outdated technology will still fit you. However, I don't recommend it.

Regards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.