Switch from SPA9000/400 system questions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RobLloyd, Jul 17, 2007.

1. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I have 2 offices I've set up with the Linksys SPA9000/400 and 942 phones. After hours and hours with support I am taking the 9000/400 out. Too many problems with xfers, vm, and analog issues (at 1 client).

So if I go with 3cx can I keep the 942 phones and have all the features? Message light, xfers, etc?

What equipment do I need for handling 4 analog lines? One client is keeping their 4 analog lines for now until we get a stable system before moving to VoIP. The other client is VoIP w/ nexVortex and is happy with the call quality.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Forgot to add that both offices have new servers - SBS2003 or I can do seperate machines if reliability would be better.

Thanks for the help,
    Rob

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Often you hear this, how many analog lines do I need.......

Well simple, how many analog phones do you want to use.

Analogue lines are nice if you do not have a VSP that provides you with a number or if you want to keep your existing numbers.

If you go VoIP you might want to consider if you still need the analog lines.

Anyway.

You can run 3cx on the sbs2003 servers that is no problem, no need for you to get other boxes for the IP PBX.

YOu need a device that handles 4 analog lines, or you get 4 SPA3102's for example. But this comes back to my initial question, how many lines are used for customers to dial in?

The good thing about ata devices is that you they have pstn fall back so if your VSP is down you still can make calls to the rest of the world.

My office atm is full VSP, dial in and dial out so I do not use analogue lines for that anymore one internet connection allowing BHT i need.

I am working with a few guys in sydney to get the Dialogic cards to work with 3CX, looks promissing and I am pretty confident that we get it to work. Dialogic has some analog cards that can be used for analog lines.

Cards have benifits that it all fits in one machine the draw back is that it fits all in one machine :).

Anyway if you need more info let me know, but important is (as always) estimate the Max total calls at anyone time. Define what you need analogue/VSP and work it from there.

4. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Thanks for the reply. The customer has 4 analog lines right now and wants to stay with them for the time being. The other customer is using the ITSP without issues except for the 9000/400 glitches.

So the 4 analog lines would be used for now until I can convince him to go with a VSP/ITSP.

I will be setting up the free edition for now to test it with the linksys phones and come up with a demo system I can show them.
    I checked out the beta about 6 months ago and it certainly has come a long way! Looks great and much easier to setup and maintain than the LVS system.

Any recommendations for a 4 port analog card?

Thanks,
    Rob

5. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I would recommend using an external device. There are some posts here from people using Audiocodes devices.

Henk, I like the idea of using Dialogic or any other cards for that matter however, I think that could become an issue if 3CX is running on a machine that is not a dedicated PBX box. I have had analog lines not hangup on several devices and had to restart the device to reset the line. If this becomes an issue with your local carrier, you could be re-booting a production server all day. This does not make for very happy users.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

True mate o so true.

Hence i mentioned

LOL cannot get more cryptic than that LOL

It is just another challenge we like to tackle with one of our customers as they have the gear already, besides the PBX's will have some serious users bases on them so dedicated servers is the plan anyway.

But yep, external would be better.

But if any of you has Dialogic cards experience and to get them work with SoftIP (SIP version) please contact me on my email.

7. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I'll check those out. They have a brand new server and I'm sure I can get them to using an ITSP at some point but this place likes to take baby steps on everything.

Does anyone have experience with the Linksys SPA phones vs. other brands? Not sure if I should return the SPA 942 phones and go with something else. They appear to be nice phones from the 3-4 months I've been using them.

Thanks,
    Rob

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re phones,

Depending what you look for in functionality.

User friendly (by that I mean good for "beginners")

Linksys (Good) (Linksys is now CISCO)
    GrandStream (Na do not like it)
    D-Link (Reasonable)
    AT530 (Reasonable, mind you I have lots of these phones. Reason being they "feel" good and present well the do not feel and look like the kiddy phones. The handset feels like you actually holding something instead of a bit of flimsy plastic).
    SNOM (good)

More advanced:
    CISCO range the seem to be a bit more fiddly regarding configs and firmware but they are good phones and you can do a lot with them. Depending what type you get.
    They also feel good, they present well, the handset is nice and strong and you see the pretty much in most TV series or Movies (Boston Legal for example :)).

Hope this helps.

Re your customer, see if you can do a 60/40 split. all incomming use PSTN and 40% of out going use ITSP.
    Or have them make the choice based on type of call by using a dial rule or if possible cheapest route first.

That might ease them into a VoIP solution.

9. dyntech

dyntech New Member

I agree with Henk, I would have them do analog on incoming and ITSP on outgoing to start out. Once you get everything working fine with the ITSP and you are confident everything works right and you are getting acceptable voice quality. Then you can decide to switch or stay the same.

At least this gives you both options to switch between as needed.

10. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Thanks guys. That was exactly my plan! :)
    I'm looking at the GrandStream GXW-4104 for the analog lines and adding the ITSP account once that works.

11. gregitx

I have recently dumped the SPA9000 but kept the SPA400 for PSTN lines.
    Seems to be working fine other than not showing as registered, can even direct certain lines to different extensions - unlike before
    I am using the Linksys SP941 Phones and they are fine other than the MWL - but according to 3cx forums techs are looking at that - i simply send the voice message to outlook as mail and don't worry about voicemail at all.