switching ISPs if one fails

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by floridascale, Dec 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. floridascale

(Sorry if this is an old topic, the search didn't seem very good and I couldn't find anything close...)

We are a small business (20 people, 3 offices) and are considering 3CX. We would like to have a fallback position in case our internet service goes down. We anticipate having two providers and would like to solicit opinions on the feasiblity of re-registering (I think that's right) our 3CX server with our VOIP trunk provider via our other ISP connection, should the first one fail. Is this reasonable? Does this depend on how willing our VOIP provider is to do this, easily? We have a protoype system up and running (3CX Free version, one SPA-962 phone, and one line from freepbx/bandwith.com.) and 3CX seems to talk to bandwidth.com behind the scenes; we have no configuration web page for bandwidth.com to tell them about our VOIP server. Thanks,

Kevin

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

usually if your trunk goes down its because your internet service is down in which case having a failover is a moot point. Some SI providers will allow you to setup a failover number to ring (I know Vitelity does this), but again, if your internet is down, then the calls are going nowhere. Personally, I never suggest using SIP trunks as a primary business circuit. I would stick to analog lines and PRI lines to avoid the reliability issue.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Depending upon the size of your business, Gateways with PSTN lines are the only dependable back-up, at least for outgoing service. Of course, your main incoming number will be linked to your VoIP provider, so if they, or your internet connection goes down, unless they have a web page that allows you to call forward the number to your PSTN lines, then you are hooped.

4. turnkey

Hi,

You could consider investing in a Firebrick (http://www.firebrick.co.uk/) (I'm sure you can find a US version)

This allows you to bond two internet connections together, so you can split the bandwidth, and if one connection goes down, then the Firebrick device will automatically route traffic to the working ISP.

I suggest yuo get two internet connections from different providers, then you will have true reliablity.

I hope this helps,

Mike

5. pdq

pdq

WAN failover router. Takes 30-40 secords to rollover. Re-registrer SIP connection will take a bit longer.

For external access: A Record with very short TTLs. Maybe use a dynamic updater to update the A record.

6. mylove4life

mylove4life New Member

I do this now with 2 Sonicwalls. In testing it takes about 3 minutes for the whole system to be backup 100% if a ISP is unpluged from the system. I am using a T1 and a cable modem.

7. abc123

abc123 Active Member

We provide solutions for these to small businesses. There are a number of options out there - just search for Wan failover.

If you need any help, by all means contact me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. pdq

pdq

Watchguards is capable of failover.

9. infinitie

Hi, we're using 3CX with two DrayTek 2820s and our SIP provider is NODE4. In my case if the first Internet connection fails (1mb/1mb E1) the DrayTek will automatically route via the second DrayTek (which is a backup ADSL connection) so it's pretty much instant (5 seconds max) and then NODE4 can specify two endpoints on their side so if incoming calls fail for the first IP, it will try the second IP so it works very well and would recommend using the DrayTeks.

You can replace the second DrayTek with a normal cable modem or a USB 3G dongle/56k modem.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.