System service definitions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by AndyBarr, Feb 15, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndyBarr

Hi guys,

We have been playing around with our on hold music (v12.5) and we had to make some changes to the volume on some of the tracks. Once we had updated them, and clicked ok the changes were not being applied. We found out that you have to restart the services to enable the changes. This mean that the system was completely down for the few minutes while the services were restarted. This made me think is there a single service that could be restarted which wouldn't affect the whole of the system, and looking at the services list the Media Server seems the most likely, but it could also be the Audio Service provider.

Is there anywhere (or if anyone knows), which states which services affects which part of the phone systems (in more detail than purely the service name), as just restarting a single service would have been better, and could have possible done with in business hours.

Thanks

Andy

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would think, that it is assumed, unless you had no choice, you would be only re-starting any services, outside business hours, to avoid having a detrimental affect. Some are obviously dedicated to specific functions (fax server), and if you knew that it was not being used at all, it could probably be stopped or re-started. Doing that to some of the others may be very risky when the PBX is in use.

3. AndyBarr

Hi Leejor,

Thanks for your reply, and yes generally I would perform most changes out of hours, the problem is that we run a 24/7 business, so only restarting a single service is probably going to be less downtime than restarting all 14 services, this could increase the risk of something going wrong. Also only restarting a single service may not affect the general running of the system, such as the Fax server, this shouldnt cause problems with in/outbound calls.

All I am really asking is there a more detailed list of what service controls what, some are self explanatory (Fax Server, Database Server) and some aren't such as:-

PhoneSystem - does this control all the other services, it seems a little bit too of a generic name for a service
    Audio Service Provider - does this control on the on hold music
    Media Server - or is it this one??

Also what would be nice would be an option to restart services when system is not in use - so if no one is making a call, the system can restart the service safely knowing that no one is using the system (I think that this used to be on the Avaya systems when you committed any changes). Yes an incoming call would be dropped, but the majority of people would try a couple of times before giving up (probably thinking they had dialed the wrong number).

Andy

4. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Although 'snipping' the one service that relates to the change you made on the system is a very good thought, there are services though that depend on other services running so e.g. stopping the 'PhoneSystem' will also cause the 'Queue Manager', 'Parking Orbit', 'Digital Receptionist', 'FAX Server', and 'Conference Room' services to stop as well.

5. AndyBarr

Hi NickD_3CX,

Yes the Phone System service seemed like a overall service with some of the others as dependants - its good to know that they are properly linked and not all individually controlled. And it seems that those services would be all related to calls handled by the system.

Looking at the windows services it looks like it also controls Call History, company directory, media server.

It seems the Database one controls everything.

Just wish 3CX had used better descriptions, I will see if I can do some testing to see which of the audio services controls the on-hold music, I will let you know what I find out.

thanks

Andy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.