Solved System time

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Napocensis, Feb 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Napocensis

Hi,
    I recently installed the free version on a Debian VPS.
    Email notifications are stamped with a 2 hrs difference (off by two time zones), as compared to the real local time.
    I checked the time on the linux machine, as well as in 3CX, and they are both set to my local time.
    Is there any other place that time zone needs to be adjusted?
    Thanks.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You should be able to set the time zones individually, for each make of device, which is then passed on in the configuration file. It used to be under Troubleshooting/Parameters/Custom Parameter...then scroll down to Time_Timezone_XXXXX where XXXXX was the make of set. That may have changed in Version 15, but should be similar.

3. Napocensis

Yes, leejor, those settings are still there in V15. That would work if one uses a phone listed there and with the older firmware that 3CX supports. (at least on my Yealink model, 3CX is one firmware behind).

I must be missing the rationale behind it, but to me it does not make sense to have the time zone set by the model of the phone. The model of the phone has nothing to do with its geographical location, and the same type of phone may be used in more than one timezone.

I would think that setting the time at extension level would be more useful.

4. Napocensis

So... the voice mail to email notification is off by 2 hours.
    Another notification, for blacklisting a certain IP for too many failed authentication attempts, uses the local time I want, as it indicates the time when the blacklisting will expire, which is exactly 30 min (1800s) from the current time.

Having a mismatch of different time stamps is worse than having all times off by 2 hrs.

5. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The time used for notifications is the time of the server. Make sure the time and timezone is correct as well as Hardware clock time on the linux machine.
    The settings in the parameters (which you should not mess with) are there because different phones need to be presented with different values for the time to be set correctly. The time for the phones can be changed from settings / Timezone, Office hours & Holidays. If you change the value there then the values for the individual phones will be changed accordingly. What email server are you using?

7. Napocensis

Yes, Sopock, it does look like v14 on the link you provided. There may be a way to set the time at extension level, but only if one defines (adds) a phone for one extension, and uses the settings for provisioning. If the phone one uses is not listed, then the option to set time at extension level is not shown.

YiannisH, I am using smtp.office365.com

The way I see it, Timezone, Office hours & Holidays allow setting up the time zone for the "main office" only, as a global setting, but not for different phones (time zones).

I ended up reinstalling Debian, but now I set the time on the server BEFORE re-installing 3CX. The voicemail email is now with the local time. When I ran the first install, I set the correct time on the VPS only after I installed 3CX, but 3CX would not update its time. If memory serves, I even rebooted the server, but 3CX time remained unchanged.

8. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Glad the issue is resolved and thank you for sharing your solution.
    On a local test i did the time did change on the emails after i changed it so don't know what went wrong with yours.
    The Timezone, Office hours & Holidays is used for controlling the time zone of the phones and using that setting you can change it globally. All other functions use the server time. If you have an extension under another time zone then you can adjust this from extension settings if like you said you have a phone provisioned. If a phone is not provisioned and you are using a 3CX client then the client uses the time of the machine it is installed on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.