• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

T46G - Voice VLAN - 3cx - HP 4500G switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

jholcombe

Forum User
Reaction score
Hello!,

I have installed 3CX and set up a voice VLAN. I'm setting up a test system to see how the Yealink phones and 3CX will work in our environment. Also trying to learn 3CX. I want the phones to operate VoIP tagged on a voice VLAN. I want the workstations connected through the phones to operate untagged (default). I have configured the ports on the 3Com 4500G switch as follows (example):

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/21
port link-type hybrid
port hybrid vlan 122 tagged {this is the VOICE VLAN}
port hybrid vlan 1 untagged {default VLAN for computers}
poe enable

On the default VLAN, I configured the DHCP server with option 132 to pass VLAN 122 to the phones when they boot up.

I have also modified the phone template to set the phones to VLAN 122.

When a phone boots:
1. It will obtain an IP address on the default network.
2. It will see the DHCP option 132 and switch to VLAN 122.
3. It will obtain an IP address on the VLAN 122 network.
4. It will briefly (about 10 seconds) reply to pings using the VLAN 122 IP address.
5. It will then revert back to the IP address it received on the default network, but it will remain on VLAN 122.

The phone actually works like this (wrong IP address for that VLAN), but it's the same layer-2 network as the 3CX server, so I suppose that maybe there's some layer-2 communications going on there? The phone is unreachable by pings (unless you put a host on that VLAN with an IP address compatible with the phones subnet).

Firmware version is: 28.72.0.26 (doesn't appear to be available yet on Yealink's site).

I downgraded one of the phones firmware to version 28.71.0.180. Now the phone gets a good IP address on VLAN 122 (from looking at the phones menu interface), but the phone does not reply to pings, is unreachable on the network, and does not provision.

I moved the phone to an older 3Com Switch 4400PWR with a port configured the same way (untagged 1, tagged 122), and the phone boots properly, gets the correct IP address, replies to pings, and provisions itself. Also a computer plugged in through the phone gets a correct address on VLAN 1.

Any ideas on how I can get these to work on the 4500G switch?

Thanks!,

--John

May we ask how many phones you have and the reason you want to create a Voice Vlan instead of just using QOS?

craigreilly -

Currently I just have two phones in a test setup. However, if I can get the system going properly we will likely install about 160 phones. We are required to separate our VoIP traffic from our data traffic using VLANs because of CJIS regulations.

See: http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/SecurityReview/cspRequirementsAndTransition.pdf
line # 441.

Thank you,

--John

damn regulations... :(
Good luck

In case anyone else has this issue, Yealink tech support had me disable LLDP on the phone. Once that was done, everything worked as it was supposed to. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matchofficees
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.