TAPI Driver in Terminal Services / Citrix

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jonq, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonq

We have had trouble historically with TAPI drivers from legacy phone systems (AVAYA etc), in multi-user Terminal Services /Citrix environments. We overcame this by paying for a custom software development of our own driver.

Anyone have any experience of the 3CX tapi driver in multi-session environments, and whether it works? We are looking to leverage the tapi driver to interface to Sage Saleslogix / Sage CRM

Thanks
    Jon

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

TAPI and Terminal services is not a good combination. It does not work.

For Outlook we have created a workaround by adding an option to the menu. Its not available for Saleslogix or Sage CRM i am afraid...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kiliev

Hi Nick,

Is there a change in the Terminal Services (RDS) and TAPI statement with current version 11 sp4? Is there any workaround the situation as i am trying to get the ERP on RDS to boost performance, but with no TAPI in RDS i am killing productivity in a huge way that makes the RDS pointless. If change is planed do you have a roadmap (when)? Thanks in advance!

Br,
    K

4. GManNAtl

I am pretty sure this is a web app correct? If so, why use the TAPI driver anyway. I would simply do some custom code on the phone numbers to call the 3CX API. I have implemented this on vTiger. I don't know about Salesforce, but vTiger had a handler class pre-built to display phone numbers with a callto: link. We simply modified the code to call the API URL instead of inserting the callto:

5. kiliev

Hi GManNAtl,

Thanks for the answer and the effort, but your assumption is not correct. It is not an web application and the vendor is supporting only TAPI :(

6. GManNAtl

I just went to their website and it seems pretty clear to me that it is in fact a web application. This is obvious because 3CX actually sells an integration to Salesforce that uses a web API. Salesforce is NOT a compiled windows application, therefore it is pretty much a requirement to use a WSDL or HTTP API. Browsers do not have ANY integration with TAPI unless you want to create an application as a handler for callto: links. I have written many in the past using compiled scripting languages like AutoIt using the built in windows dialer.exe in order to utilize TAPI.

Basically it works like this Browser --> callto: handler --> dialer.exe (set to use TAPI). You need the callto: to bridge the gap between the browser and the host OS, then you trigger the TAPI interface. Trust me when I say you DO NOT want to do this. If you are in the browser already it is much cleaner to just call the API either via a WSDL or HTTP as 3CX provides. If you are using a hosted version you probably have absolutely no options except the offering from 3CX. If you are using a version you are hosting in-house you should be able to modify the code to suit your needs.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/myphone/salesforce-crm-integration/

7. GManNAtl

Read here :

This describes the Java API in detail, but they also offer other methods (JSON, HTTP, etc.) if you read on. TAPI is a mistake, Trust me!

http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2012/08/open-cti-moving-cti-integrations-to-the-cloud.html

8. kiliev

Thanks again but we obviously go in different directions on that so bare with me for a moment. Maybe you are right but you are assuming Salesforce or other web app and the topic is TAPI Driver in Terminal Services / Citrix. My asking is about TAPI on RDS cause i have a compiled proprietary app that the vendor says TAPI only. Pronto.
    So trust me i have a choice of TAPI or nothing.

Br,
    K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.