Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

TAPI Driver in Terminal Services / Citrix

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by jonq, Dec 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonq

We have had trouble historically with TAPI drivers from legacy phone systems (AVAYA etc), in multi-user Terminal Services /Citrix environments. We overcame this by paying for a custom software development of our own driver.

Anyone have any experience of the 3CX tapi driver in multi-session environments, and whether it works? We are looking to leverage the tapi driver to interface to Sage Saleslogix / Sage CRM

Thanks
    Jon

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

TAPI and Terminal services is not a good combination. It does not work.

For Outlook we have created a workaround by adding an option to the menu. Its not available for Saleslogix or Sage CRM i am afraid...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. kiliev

Hi Nick,

Is there a change in the Terminal Services (RDS) and TAPI statement with current version 11 sp4? Is there any workaround the situation as i am trying to get the ERP on RDS to boost performance, but with no TAPI in RDS i am killing productivity in a huge way that makes the RDS pointless. If change is planed do you have a roadmap (when)? Thanks in advance!

Br,
    K

4. GManNAtl

I am pretty sure this is a web app correct? If so, why use the TAPI driver anyway. I would simply do some custom code on the phone numbers to call the 3CX API. I have implemented this on vTiger. I don't know about Salesforce, but vTiger had a handler class pre-built to display phone numbers with a callto: link. We simply modified the code to call the API URL instead of inserting the callto:

5. kiliev

Hi GManNAtl,

Thanks for the answer and the effort, but your assumption is not correct. It is not an web application and the vendor is supporting only TAPI :(

6. GManNAtl

I just went to their website and it seems pretty clear to me that it is in fact a web application. This is obvious because 3CX actually sells an integration to Salesforce that uses a web API. Salesforce is NOT a compiled windows application, therefore it is pretty much a requirement to use a WSDL or HTTP API. Browsers do not have ANY integration with TAPI unless you want to create an application as a handler for callto: links. I have written many in the past using compiled scripting languages like AutoIt using the built in windows dialer.exe in order to utilize TAPI.

Basically it works like this Browser --> callto: handler --> dialer.exe (set to use TAPI). You need the callto: to bridge the gap between the browser and the host OS, then you trigger the TAPI interface. Trust me when I say you DO NOT want to do this. If you are in the browser already it is much cleaner to just call the API either via a WSDL or HTTP as 3CX provides. If you are using a hosted version you probably have absolutely no options except the offering from 3CX. If you are using a version you are hosting in-house you should be able to modify the code to suit your needs.

http://www.3cx.com/blog/myphone/salesforce-crm-integration/

7. GManNAtl

Read here :

This describes the Java API in detail, but they also offer other methods (JSON, HTTP, etc.) if you read on. TAPI is a mistake, Trust me!

http://blogs.salesforce.com/company/2012/08/open-cti-moving-cti-integrations-to-the-cloud.html

8. kiliev

Thanks again but we obviously go in different directions on that so bare with me for a moment. Maybe you are right but you are assuming Salesforce or other web app and the topic is TAPI Driver in Terminal Services / Citrix. My asking is about TAPI on RDS cause i have a compiled proprietary app that the vendor says TAPI only. Pronto.
    So trust me i have a choice of TAPI or nothing.

Br,
    K

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.