TAPI Integration (again!)

Discussion in 'CRM / Helpdesk / App Integration' started by 3cx newbie, Jun 13, 2018.

1. 3cx newbie

Basic requirement

We have a single process running on a server (.NET application), which will monitor all incoming calls and perform some action based on the incoming call number and the extension it is for.

Questions

What do I need to install on the server for this to work?

- 3CX phone client I assume will always be required? This will be configured for a single extension?

- The 3CX multi-line tapi driver (https://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/beta-multi-line-tapi/) OR just the plugins (https://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/crm-plugins/) or BOTH? Our server is Windows 2008 64 bit.

- If I then configure the tapi configuration file with all the extensions I wish to monitor (with the 1st line being the extension configured in the phone client installed on the server), will I be able to use TAPI to monitor all extensions from this one server, or do I need to install something else on the other clients as well?

- We have the 3CX pro version installed. Any configuration change required in the 3CX management console to enable TAPI to work?

Many thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

2. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @3cx newbie,

Please note that TAPI will only let you make outbound calls. So for what you need, the only way is using the 3CX Call Control API:
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/call-control-api/

Using this API you can monitor all the system calls in real time. Please note that this API can only be used from the 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 3cx newbie

That is a massive restriction, did not see it mentioned anywhere? Oddly I have managed to use the multi line tapi to monitor calls from one extension.

4. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If you need to monitor all system calls, the only way is using the 3CX Call Control API from the server. You can't run many instances of 3CXPhone for different extensions in the same machine, except in terminal server for different user accounts...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. 3cx newbie

Thanks.

For clarity then;

1 - in a non terminal server environment, can I run a program which can monitor a single line using tapi, i.e. the extension configured on that machine?

2 - in a terminal server environment, again I could run a program under each user account to monitor incoming calls for one extension?

Thanks for your help.

6. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You said you did, right? I thought it was not possible, as in previous versions this was not implemented, but maybe it's working now.

If it works for one extension, it will work for many in a terminal server.

7. 3cx newbie

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Yes, on a non terminal server, configured with a single extension, I could recognise incoming calls to that extension.

Going back your point about not being able to see incoming calls, is this documented, like I said I've not seen it mentioned anywhere. Would not want to use an unsupported feature that might stop working at some point.

Thanks.

8. edossantos

edossantos Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I don't think TAPI will be changed. It's a very obsolete technology, which has not seen any change in the last 15 years... So what is working should keep working...

However, I really think that the approach you use is a bit risky... You're running instances of 3CXPhone for each extension, I assume in CTI mode so users can use their real phones. If your 3CXPhone instances are closed by any reason, you will lose the notifications. On the other hand, if you use the 3CX Call Control API from the server, you will never miss a notification... And the solution is simpler as you have a single process.

9. voiptoys

voiptoys Member

I have to agree with Ernesto. The correct way to handle this is either (1) the call control API, or (2) a call flow designer application. I think the call flow designer would probably be a little easier than creating a Windows service or Linux daemon.