• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Teams Direct Routing - Configeration Problems

Francois92

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Hi 3CX Team and Community Member,

I'm experiencing a strange error when I try to run the following PowerShell command when adding a user:

Command:
PS C:\PSS> $users_ids = @("[email protected]")
>> Set-CsUser -Identity [email protected] -OnPremLineURI "tel:+***********;ext=2001" -EnterpriseVoiceEnabled $true -HostedVoiceMail $true

Error:
Cannot modify the parameter: "OnPremLineURI" because it is restricted for the user service plan: MCOPSTN1,MCOMEETADD,MCOEV,MCOProfessional.
+ CategoryInfo : PermissionDenied: (Set-CsUser:String) [Set-CsUser], UnauthorizedAccessException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : UnAuthorized,Microsoft.Rtc.Management.AD.Cmdlets.SetOcsUserCmdlet
+ PSComputerName : api.interfaces.records.teams.microsoft.com

I have checked the licenses, we have Microsoft 365 E3 and 365 Business Voice licenses assigned to this user, any assistance will be greatly appreciated!

Kind regards,
Francois

License Not Applied​

If you execute the second 3CX script (User Script) which matches 3CX users to Teams users and errors are shown like
Cannot modify the parameter: "OnPremLineURI" because it is restricted for the user service plan
then it is a strong indicator that the user is not licensed or not provisioned by Microsoft yet.

First, log in to https://admin.microsoft.com/#/users and check if for the user the “Microsoft 365 Phone System” addon was assigned. Without this, you cannot proceed.
1yssZCviMp1YLo4TMIFcNTuC-2Q5hcWPSrIJQxY1XifZ8VIaqyQaceMnLmlr-AGNJy8Bxa2rvY8i4QjvRdw52BLuVS37LHBZm1AKrNzWZoCIEQ4HgyfjXgSzm0ugP6Z8x2YeI-g0

If the license shown above was just assigned, it can take up to 24 hours until the core of Teams will see the same license. There is nothing you can do to speed this process up. However, you can check to see if it is ready. Log in to https://admin.teams.microsoft.com/users and check the column “Phone System”.
jWsobMQwRw3tf-Gc2P-QqDZfvXtBAcn-Aaypx54zGMglqqvxfBWaFTVkrznTXSjqmjsXIXcc5xnhTAxrPL8Xn3j9FfKVVr5FYrqDhXxDK3BEq3pqUhWrMq5h6CtFte6Rfu6X-Jq1

For the user in question, it needs to state On to be connected to 3CX. If this is not the case, there is no need to proceed with any call tests or other actions.

Hi Stefan! Thanks for the troubleshooting advice and your feedback on my thread.
The 365 user in question doesn't have a Microsoft 365 Phone System license assigned, but we however do have MS Office E3 and MS Business Voice as seen in my attached screenshots.

Please let me know if you have any questions or troubleshooting tips.

Kind Regards

Attachments

• adb823e3cf46d1a9de3968431585d85a.png
    adb823e3cf46d1a9de3968431585d85a.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 8
  • b054d23e1d2ff1947afc737fdd6ea7af.png
    b054d23e1d2ff1947afc737fdd6ea7af.png
    18.6 KB · Views: 7
If you have business voice, you have calling plan by default turned on.

Calling plan must be disabled for you to set direct routing for a user.

I'd recommend you get rid of business voice and get just phone system and audio conf. That's $12 USD standard vs $20 for Business Voice. But if you want to keep Business Voice, you must disable calling plan in the license tab of 365.

If you have business voice, you have calling plan by default turned on.

Calling plan must be disabled for you to set direct routing for a user.

I'd recommend you get rid of business voice and get just phone system and audio conf. That's $12 USD standard vs $20 for Business Voice. But if you want to keep Business Voice, you must disable calling plan in the license tab of 365.
Would you be so kind to post me a screenshot where the user can disable the calling plan in order to add it to the documentation. Thank you in advance

I don't think you can "disable" the calling plan. AFAIK, it's based on the license. You can have a "Business Voice" or "Business Voice without calling plan".

Would you be so kind to post me a screenshot where the user can disable the calling plan in order to add it to the documentation. Thank you in advance
Here you go:
1629379865674.png

This is done from the 365 Admin Portal (admin.microsoft.com for most) for each user. You can also do it from the Azure portal depending on your setup.

To provide further information

If you run
Code:
Get-CSOnlineUser -Identity [email protected] | fl VoicePolicy

You will either get:
HybridVoice
OR
BusinessVoice

You cannot do direct routing with BusinessVoice and that will cause an error like above.

1629380761400.png

I think I will write up a post about licenses, permissions, etc for the 3CX blog since there is so many questions about this.

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
@SweetAction thanks for your assistance! Disabling the "Microsoft 365 Domestic Calling Plan" resolved my direct routing problem.

Kind regards :)

Reactions: ConceptsWeb
My license writeup (I'll be linking people back to this post going forward)

3CX:​

If you want to use 3CX as your phone system, select the correct size and edition. All your license and app needs are in one place (the 3CX license provides you with app access, server licensing – you still need a SIP Trunk)

Microsoft Teams:​

If you want to use 3CX to power a Microsoft Teams Phone System via Direct Routing (DR), you will need an Enterprise Edition 3CX license in the correct size. You will still need a SIP Trunk. You will also need Microsoft licenses for the following items:
1) Teams
2) Teams Phone System

For the sake of simplicity in this post I will use Standard USD Pricing when referring to the costs associated

1) Teams: Is included in almost all 365 plans so if you already have other 365 services you likely have this. If you don’t, Business Basic is $5/user/month (/u/mo) and one of the cheapest ways in for under 300 users. You can also buy “Just Teams”, but it’s not a great value in this case.
2) Teams Phone System: Is included in higher end 365 SKU’s and can also be added on for $8/u/mo

Enable Teams Meeting to have a dial in number:​

If you want you Teams users to have a dial in number for their meeting you will need the following SKU from Microsoft:
1) Audio Conferencing

This SKU can be added to any user who has a Teams license – no other dependencies. Someone without Teams Phone System, or who is using Calling Plans, or any mix and match you can think of. This license does 1 thing – add dial in numbers to Teams meetings – and doesn’t need anything else to work. This has a standalone cost of $4/u/mo but is included in some higher end 365 SKU’s

Getting a “Dial Tone” in Microsoft Teams​

The 2 primary methods of getting a dial tone in Microsoft Teams is:
1) Calling Plans from Microsoft (CP)
2) Direct Routing (DR)

You can only use 1 method per user, although you can mix and match with your users. So some users in your org can use CP and some can use DR but a single user cannot be enabled for both CP and DR.

You can check how a user is setup by running the following PowerShell command:

Get-CSOnlineUser -Identity [email protected] | fl VoicePolicy

You will either get:
HybridVoice = Direct Routing
OR
BusinessVoice = Calling Plan

The “Business Voice” SKU:​

Microsoft has a 365 SKU called “Business Voice” that contains the following 3 licenses:
1) Teams Phone System (normally $8/u/mo)
2) Audio Conferencing (normally $4/u/mo)
3) Domestic Calling Plan (normally $12/u/mo)

On the surface this SKU is great because it only costs on $20, saving you $4. However, if you plan to use DR this SKU becomes less of a savings. As mentioned above you only need 1 license for DR - Teams Phone System. Even if you add Audio Conferencing into the mix, it’s only $12/u/mo vs $20/u/mo. Note you still need Teams regardless of if you are using this SKU or buying licenses standalone.

Summary:​

3CX on its own is a great system and contains everything you need to make and receive calls, meeting and more. For those looking to use Teams with 3CX, it’s SBC abilities (what allows it to work with Direct Routing) are a welcome addition in v18. However, Microsoft requires proper licensing to use it and costs can increase as a result.

MAJOR EDIT:
Microsoft appears to be getting ready to change prices and also include Audio Conferencing in every SKU:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2021/08/19/new-pricing-for-microsoft-365/

Last edited:

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.