Testing Fax Server

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by georgewillow, Apr 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. georgewillow

Shouldn't I be able to call 888 internally and hear a fax tone? My call just gets terminated after a split second. I'm also getting this when I call in remotely, but I thought I could verify it was working just by dialing 888 internally.

2. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

i tried and get same result.
    maybe it knows I am calling from a sip phone and not a fax machine?

I do not have an inbound line available right now to test.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

No. 3CX only supports T.38 fax, not analog fax so there is no negotiation tones.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

So that means a normal fax machine in someone's copy room couldn't reach us?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It means that any incoming fax has to come from a VoIP provider that supports T.38, or a PSTN gateway that does (there are a few around). I suppose you could try an internal fax machine that uses an ATA that supports T.38, and the options set correctly, calling 888.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T.38

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.