• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Text to speech and accentuate characters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louis-Philippe

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m currently experimenting with VAD 11 and the new text to speech features. Since our application needs to supports both English and French, I’ve been doing some testing and found a major problem with the usage of accentuate character, like in the word “téléphone”. The words containing accentuate characters get converted to “?”. I know for a fact that this has nothing to do with the voice I use, but seem to come from the way the string is sent to VAD or to the TTS engine. My guest is that the developers use ascii base string instead of utf-8. Since VAD uses a lot of web technologies under the hood, I tried to replace the characters with their HTML equivalent (é become é or é), but it didn’t help. This is a very big issue for us, maybe a deal breaker. Please tell me that I’m missing something obvious…

One more things about the usage of text to speech. I notice that the application needs to generate the .wav file on the drive before using it. Why don’t work only in ram, it should be a lot faster?

One last thing, can you add keyboard shortcuts to the build and deploy functions, please?

Thanks for the help and have a nice day,
Louis-Philippe

Hi Louis-Philippe,

I have tested strings with accentuate and works for me. Maybe this is related to the other problem you reported (related to expression).

If you still have the problem, please send me you project and I'll take a look.

We'll add the shortcut keys to the menus, thanks for the suggestion.

Regards,

In regards to the text converted to wav file, we can't use files directly in memory. This is because the VXML implementation we're using, we need to save the files to disk before playing them.

Hi,

We found that this is a bug. We're going to release a new version soon including this fix.

Regards,

Thanks for the reply. Can't wait to get the new version.

It will be published soon, I'll let you know as soon as it is published.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.