TFTP option 66, and phone changes after provisioning

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by VoIPster, Oct 30, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoIPster

Hello,

I have an ecosystem consisting mainly of Cisco SPA series phones, but I have just installed a Yealink CP860 conference phone. I had to change the DHCP options on the router for TFTP option 66 to http://ipaddr:5000/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxxx/$MA.xml in order to get the phones to be directed to the 3CX server for the firmware and configuration. When I configured the Yealink phone on 3CX, the URL was different; http://ipaddr:5000/provisioning/xxxxxxxxxxx. What will happen when one of the Cisco phones reboots and attempts to hit that provisioning link? Should I remove option 66 from the DHCP server until I need to install another phone?

Also, the Yealink's web interface changed after provisioning. It now requires SSL and is not accepting the default admin/admin login. What should that be now?

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You should have different values for Option 66, based on first 3 bytes of the MAC address (specifying the phone vendor). This is possible in some routers, as well in windows dhcp server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    NickD_3CX likes this.
  3. eddv123

eddv123 Well-Known Member

Hi VoIPster,

A couple of side notes here also:

Although you have an environment for Option 66 provisioning which is obviously a requirement for legacy phones such as Ciscos, the Yealink CP860 Conference phone can actually be used via plug and play, as long as it follows the principles in the below guide.
    https://www.3cx.com/docs/plug-and-play-ip-phone/

The username and password which is provisioned for the web GUI is normally "admin" by default and the password can be found in the extension under "provisioning": Phone Web page password.

4. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Option 66 provisioning is required into VPN environment, remote extensions (STUN), etc.-- generally Layer 3 network connectivity. Plug & Play will work only in Layer 2 network connectivity like LAN or VLAN environment.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    NickD_3CX likes this.
  5. VoIPster

It doesn't appear that the router supports DHCP options by MAC OUI.

The phones and 3CX server are not in the same subnet. They're in a different one on another VLAN. I don't anticipate any changes anytime soon in the environment, so can I leave the DHCP option as is, delete it, or am I going to have issues?

6. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You may leave it as:
    It will work for most brands, except Cisco SPA and may be some other phones.
    Depending how many phones you have, you may configure provisioning path in each phone manually.

VoIPster likes this.
  7. VoIPster

Ok, thanks. To confirm - if one of the SPA phones reboots, and cannot obtain a config via the URL provided by DHCP option 66, will it continue to run the provisioning it previously had? I imagine they should, but I would hate for there to be a power outage and end up with a massive phone system problem. This is a small/medium business, but there are ~20 lines and most are Cisco SPA.

8. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

SPA series, unlike Cisco 79xx series, keep their configuration in themselves without power, so rebooting a SPA phone will not affect the configuration and there is no general need to reprovision the phones, once they are provisioned.

VoIPster and Nick Galea like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.