• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

The 15.5 SP6 - OPUS (?!?)-Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

FredyWenger

Customer
Reaction score
15.5 SP6 should have full Opus support, but unfortunately, there is an absolute lack of information’s from 3cx side…
  • The 3cx base now should support Opus...
  • The Android-App now should support Opus...
  • The iOS-App now should support Opus...
  • The WebClient now should support Opus...
  • The Windows Client does not support Opus yet(...?)

Snom / Gigaset does not support Opus yet and in the near future (I had contact to the vendors - I assume, that we have to buy new devices, once Opus will be supported).

Yealink does support Opus since a while...

Therefore, I have ordered:
  • A Yealink T46S
  • A Yealink W60P (Dect base station) with two W56H headsets

Unfortunately, there seems to be no template for T46S with Opus and I further only see a template for W60B not W60P...?

So.. in my understanding we now should able to do an internal call end-to-end between at least the mobile app’s and /or the webclient with end-to-end Opus codec in a stellar quality (regardless the SIP-Trunk-Provider) ...?

I have tried (internal call Android-App <-> iOS-App) but don’t see a stellar quality…

Questions to anybody:
  • Has anybody successful tested an internal voice call end-to-end with Opus and noted a stellar quality (noticeable better than with G722)?
Questions to 3cx:
  • Is Opus really fully supported in best quality?
  • When is a new template available for the Yealink T46S with full Opus support?
  • When is a new template available for the Yealink W60P (Dect) and W56H with full Opus support?
  • If the SIP-Trunk provider supports Opus, also external calls with Opus <-> Opus should be possible, if the partner (and his SIP-Trunk provider) fully supports Opus?
  • If Opus is configured by first priority (also for external calls) and the (own) SIP-Trunk provider and/or the voice partner does not support Opus (so the voice call has to be transcoded), should the voice quality be better then with G722 or not?
  • Are there some special settings to follow, to use the Opus codec?
Thanks for answers to my questions...

I know, there are many questions, but I’m sure, that there are many customers, that have thee same questions...

Reactions: Frank86
I'm using OPUS on mobile clients right now. Sound quality is great especially extension to extension. I haven't done any in-depth testing to see what opus features are and if there is much PLC enabled etc.

OPUS support is considered beta right now. Someone from 3CX said official support in 15.6 (not 15.5 SP6). I would expect provisioning support for at least yealink's supported models then.

If you your call path is:

opus handset > 3CX > g.711 Trunk provider, the peak audio quality wont be any better than g.711. Opus can improve the handset > 3CX side to eliminate packet loss etc *but* a lot of those features are flags that need to be set and I'm not seeing any interface to do that right now.

In short, opus can improve the handset to pbx quality but the lowest quality codec in the path determines the whole path.

I came to 3CX from asterisk and I had been using opus in production there. The asterisk implementation is really crap, but even so, I was able to add 50% redundancy for PLC and get real world benefits on Yealink T4xS and T5x phones. Noticeably better when there was a little packet loss. And my smartphone sip client was substantially better.

Reactions: FredyWenger
Hey @dandenson
Thanks for your very interesting posting (that's exactly what I meant with this thread :cool:).
Let's hope, that further users post their findings and we also will receive an official answer here from 3cx..:)

@dandenson

You wrote "Sound quality is great especially extension to extension."
Is the voice quality with Opus (end-to-end) noticeable better as when you do an call with G722 (not G711) end-to-end?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HC-Liam
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.