The specified port is in use: 5060(TCP)

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by zubair678, May 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zubair678

When i removed 3CX phone system old version 7 and Installed new version 7.1 got the following error message>
    The specified port is in use: 5060(TCP)

What I have to do to install? :cry:

please help us as soon as possible.

Thanks & Regard
    Zubair678@hotmail.com

2. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Try closing all your Voip Phones, Assistant or even a restart your machine if it's been online for more than one month.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. mbaltus

If you want to figure out which process (application) is locking the port, you can use a netstat -o from the command prompt. This will show the process ID per port in use. From the Taskmanager (you may need to show the Process ID column using the view | select columns menu) you can then see which application is locking the port.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. tillyfliss

hi
    this problem can be caused by the voip client software service running. ifyou open computer management and scroll down to services and applications and then open services, find 3cx voip client sip and stop the service you should then be able to re-install 3cx. just re-starting the machine would not work as this service is set to automatic and would re-start its self.
    hope you find this helpfull.
    regards steve

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

netstat -ano -p TCP

It will provide you information about users of the port (see PID column)
    Task manager can show the "PID" (process Identifier) of running processes.
    Using this technique, you can find the process which uses port 5060(TCP).

Thanks

6. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Steve
    Ok, let's not confusing people - at least, I don't want to be confused :mrgreen:

The service you describe is Voip Client's tunnel. As far as I know, 3CX tunnel, 3CX Voip Client, 3CX Voip Phone, alongisde many SIP "clients", cannot "keep in use" 5060, excepting when they are misconfigured (for instance, 5060 set instead of 5080 in case of tunnel, or 5060 instead of 5070 in case of the Voip Client or Voip Phone). In a normal configuration, they don't "use" 5060, they "connect" 5060 - it's a significant difference. Another thing - in case of running on the same machine as the PBX, they won't be able to take 5060 for their own use, excepting situation when PBX is down, otherwise their attempt will fail for sure.

As mbaltus and SY said, try to use netstat tool and after that tell me that Voip Client's tunnel is "using" 5060 8)

Regards
    vali

7. tillyfliss

hi vali
    any input i give is based on personal experience. i uninstalled and then re-installed 3cx 7 to 7.1 and guess what cant be installed port 5060 in use. i am a network engineer so used net stat and ms port reporter to pin point usage to 3cx voip client even though the program was not running in the taskbar. stopped tunnel service and 3cx re-installed.voip client might not use the port but windows will listen on it if voip client service is running. i could have saved my self 20 mins messing around if someone mentioned to me it could be the voip client and just exiting the voip client or re-starting the pc is no good as the service still runs (set to automatic)
    instead of everyone getting confused over port numbers, etc just check for 3cx services like voip client running after uninstall and stop them.worked for me could work for him
    regards steve

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Steve

For me it's quite strange, is like somebody telling me that Firefox cannot conect google.com because IE already connected it an keeps 80 in use :roll:
    I repeat, PBX's 5060 can be kept in use by tunnel, voip client, voip phone only if they are running on the same machine as PBX and they were wrong configured and started before PBX.

For me, testing sequence is very simple:
    - I have PBX, PBX tunnel, voip client's tunnel and voip client running well on the same machine. Netstat says 5060 is in use by PBX. Stops only the PBX service. Netstat no longer show 5060 as being in use, even tunnels and phone are still running.

If you are convinced the issue can happen on a normal, regular basis, then please provide us a "testing pattern" (also, and mainly, the configuration file of the tunnel/voip phone/voip client) to allow us to fix this, because in such a case it becomes an important issue.

Regards
    vali

9. tillyfliss

hi vali
    we are going far too deep now.the guy has a problem after un-installing 3cx and reinstalling it.
    port 5060 in use. i had the very same problem, stopped voip client sip/rtp tunneling proxy service and hey presto 3cx re installed no questions asked. after all 30 seconds spent stopping a service has got to be worth a try.
    just trying to help a guy who has a problem with an idea from my own experiences.
    to satisfy my self i installed 3cx v7 on a diferent machine then installed voip client v7, not soft voip phone v3.6. uninstalled 3cx, left voip client installed, tried to reinstall 3cx v7.1 same message.stopped said service again re install then successful.

hope this clarifies.
    regards steve

10. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Steve, there are two people - you and zubair - to which voip client's tunnel seems to create troubles, that's why we need to know what's happen. If indeed is an issue in the tunnel, then we can fix it. You can can afford, but we don't, to provide a customer an answer like "try to stop voip client's tunneling service and see if this solve your PBX issue". This is my point.

Cheers 8)
    vali

11. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Steve, I guess I find the reason of your issue: you're refering the 5090 port. In such case, PBX installer may complain about "5090 is in use", because it wants to install its tunnel on 5090, which might be in use by Voip Client's one. But it's about 5090, not 5060.

Regards
    vali

12. tillyfliss

hi vali
    didnt read your last reply until after i posted mine so it might seem not to make sense.
    sorry about that
    kind regards steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.