Solved Third party/generic sip clients question

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by stangri, Nov 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stangri

For some extensions I'd need to use third party/generic sip clients rather than the 3cx client. So I'm testing this setup with an extension and the Telephone app on macOS.

I've copied ID and the password from the extension Authentication box and used the <custom>.3cx.us domain name, however the client displays the 404 error upon registration attempt.

I have the "disallow use outside LAN" unchecked -- any other setting I missed that is needed for the 3rd party SIP client to work?

Another client I'd need to use is the Linksys/Cisco SPA box I use in home automation, but I'm not at its location yet -- anything else needs to be configured differently for that box?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There is really no reason that a SIP client should not work, other than an incorrect setting. Check the 3CX Activity Log right after an attempted registration. Does it show the extension attempting? If not, then then you need to check the server/ port information that you have set in the client.

3. stangri

Thank you for the hint and encouragement to dig a little deeper. With Telephone app the specific settings which made things work are:
    1. Domain: <FQDN>
    2. User name: ID from extension/Authentication box
    3. Password: password from extension/Authentication box
    4. In the advanced settings, SIP address is <extension>@<FQDN>

Without #4 things didn't work.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Glad it worked for you. Every SIP client is a bit different. I've seen some that insist in the server address being input into 3 different fields before working.

stangri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.