Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Tone delay

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by satman1w, Jun 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. satman1w

Hi all,
    I have more than 50 Grandstream [Grand$tream] 1405 phones connected to 3CX, and same problem with all of them.

When you pick up the receiver or press speaker button for the first time, it takes up to two or three seconds before you hear a tone and can start dialing the number. If you hang up and try again , the tone starts immediately.

After a few minutes pause, the problem appears again. First time you have to wait a while for the tone.

Does anybody know where the problem is?

Thanks

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The phones themselves generate the dial tone.

Once the phone is registered to its server, the phone merely sends/receives SIP messages to set up the call. These messages and responses to same allow the phone to play back an associated "user expected" sound. So, in the case of taking the receiver off-hook or doing an on-hook dial using a speaker phone, the user expects to hear a dial tone and the phone provides this as long as it is registered to the system. The phone doesn't any signal in this condition as it is already registered and therefor ready to send the dial string once you press send/dial.

The reason for the phone generating the sound (such as dial tone) is that it lessens the amount of data that would otherwise take up bandwidth as well as the time needed to wait for the system and phone to interact with one another.

You might take a look at the firmware and ensure you have the latest.

3. satman1w

Thank you for your answer,

I have the latest firmware on my G$tream phones (maybe that's the problem :)) which was necessary to set up auto provisioning with 3CX. I have also downloaded 3CX templates from manufacturers site.

The problem looks almost as if there is some kind of sleep mode enabled on the phones !!! After few minutes of idle, the first "off-hook" takes two, almost three seconds, and after that everything work fine until next idle...

I suspect on something in phone setting, but there are so many that for most of them I don't know the function.
    On zhe other hand, when I think about it, for a few days there was one Lynk-Sys 921 connected and the symptoms were the same....

So there is a chance that there is something wrong with 3CX configuration.

It is very annoying for the custome, and my time is running out....

:-(

4. lneblett

Given what you are describing, there is no interaction between the system and the phone. The only other thing that I can think of off-hand is if you take the receiver off-hook and then get a stutter tone for a second or two and then a dial tone. However, you indicated that the phone provided instant dial tone following the first episode. I may have one of each model that you have mentioned in the office and I will check them a later today when I go in.

5. satman1w

I appreciate your efforts, but I am afraid that Murphy's law will show it's power once again and when you will try it, everything will work flawlessly.... But let's give it a chance...

Thanks in advance

Best regards

6. LiscardGP

Hi

I have used unsupported cisco phones in the past.

If my memory is correct the time delay before the dial tone is heard has to be stated in the configuration file. If there is no reference in the cfg file then a default value is used.

I can't explain why the delay is intermittent but I suspect, if I am correct, if you select a short time period the problem will resolve.

Good luck.

NB over the years I have used 3 CX I have been gradually able to migrate to supported phones. When available they make the whole 3CX experience much better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. LiscardGP

Hi

I have used unsupported cisco phones in the past.

If my memory is correct the time delay before the dial tone is heard has to be stated in the configuration file. If there is no reference in the cfg file then a default value is used.

I can't explain why the delay is intermittent but I suspect, if I am correct, if you select a short time period the problem will resolve.

Good luck.

NB over the years I have used 3 CX I have been gradually able to migrate to supported phones. When available they make the whole 3CX experience much better.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. lneblett

I had the 1405, but not the 921. I had other Cisco SPA models in the 5xx series. I did experience a slight delay on the 1405 when first picked up after being idle. It was very slight and hard to imagine that anyone would complain. The only reason I even noticed is that when following-up with successive attempts.....it was virtually instantaneous.

You may want to put a wireshark capture on it just to see what interaction may be taking place between the phone and system. I don't think there should be any, but perhaps something is going on. You may want to also post a query of the GS site. The 1405 Is an entry level phone, so perhaps the processor is a little slow.......but in my testing it seemed suitable for the task. The delay was never close to 2 or 3 seconds.

The only other thing that comes to mind is if folks are getting a stutter tone before getting the solid dial tone. I think they would have mentioned it, but I have had others who had it and just thought it was normal.

9. satman1w

...and this is the most frustrating thing of them all. Until version 12 Grand-$tream was strategic partner, all their phones supported ans automatically provisioned, and so on... After version 12, not only they are not strategic partners, but you cannot find a provisioning template any more!!! Now, why would I like to have a expensive software PBX when I cannot be certain that next update or service pack will not render all my phones unusable (unsupported) ???
    If I was the guy in charge of that, my goal would be to have more and more vendors and phone models supported with each new version and not the other way around

To connect Linksy$SPA921 I have installed all the 3CX versions from 6 to 12 , extracted all the templates and uninstalled.
    Finally the templates from version 11 worked with 12 and 12.5 !!!
    Why they were removed I will never understand....

Thanks for your answer

regards

10. satman1w

Wireshark capture shows nothing suspicious !!

There is no stutter tone, just silence, and until the tone starts phone definetely sleeps. In most cases, users start to dial at the same moment they pick up the receiver, and during the silent period the phone does not except dialed numbers! Result is that only the last few numbers are sent to provider and the call is obviously denied.

oh, and I did post the same question on GS forum, but it was widely ignored :)

thanks for your answer

regards

11. satman1w

So, what happened in the end...

After I went out of ideas, I decided to start from scratch.
    I have performed a reset to factory settings and just gave necessary PBX IP address. username and password. Surprisingly, everything got back to normal. Delay disappeared, and all the other problems as well.
    Nevertheless, after I finally got in contact with manufacturers customer support, I have raised a question and as an answer got a latest templates for 12.5 version of 3CX.

Reprovisioned with new templates and everything is working fine.... for now.

Thanks to all..

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Other than the set "knowing" if it is currently registered (and should even provide DT), there would be no interaction with the PBX until the entire dial string was sent. This means that whatever is causing the delay is most likely a setting in the phone, as suggested earlier. I will see if I can come up with what this parameter might be, but suspect that something, in the provisioning template changed the setting from the default, which one suspects is "immediate".

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Had a look through the Linksys/Cisco documentation that I have (not the most comprehensive by any means), I don't, off-hand, see a reference to a parameter that would delay dialtone (other than not providing dialtone if the device is not registered). Perhaps someone else has come across this before and/or has additional information.

14. lneblett

I do not believe the GS device has such a setting. I looked at the p-values and did not notice one, but perhaps the reference to control such a setting is unknown to me. On the other hand, if there was such a setting, I assume it would be the same delay regardless of how long or short the receiver was on-hook.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.