Tones not registering when callers call!

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by andykeen, Nov 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andykeen

Hi All.

we have setup (and trialling) the 3CX system at our offices. We have a Linksys SPA3102 and 4 x CISCO 7940 phones.

Some of our customers have complained that when they call-in they cannot select any of the options of the Autoattendant - i.e. if they press 1 on their phone it does not seem to be registering at our end and their selection is not made.

Is this an issue with our SPA3102 or the 3CX system - to me it sounds like it could be the 3102 and perhaps the tones being trnasmitted from this box to the 3CX system is not correct in some way - but thats just a guess.

Can anyone please throw some light on this for us.

Thank you and Regards
    Andy Keen.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In the 3102, go to PSTN Line/Audio Configuration. There you will find the DTMF settings. Some are for dealing with how the 3102 receives DTMF info from the SIP side and then sends to the PSTN line, those have TX in them. You can try playing with the other DTMF settings. Make a note of what the original settings are and only change one at a time, then test. try an incoming call to an extension and then have the caller send tones, do you hear them in the handset?

On occasion, some devices send a very short DTMF tone, which can cause issues.

3. andykeen

Thank you - I might be giving up on this decive - if some customers cant get through how can I guarantee everyone will with the tweaks and changes to the unit.

I have found quite a bit on the net regarding the configuration of this device but nothing categorical to work.

Thank you again.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I use a number of these and have not had a DTMF problem calling in from any phone, including some mobile and cordless phones that send very short tones. Be sure you are using G711 codecs, as that can sometimes make a difference. Did you try listening on a call to an extension, to see if you actually do hear incoming DTMF?

5. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Re: Grandstream GXW4004

Unfortunately, in case if remote party doesn't generate recognizable DTMF tones (wrong frequencies, wrong level of signal, wrong length of signal) or DTMF signals are altered on the path from remote party to your PSTN gateway (signals finally arrive with wrong frequencies, wrong level of signal, wrong length of signal), then changing of the gateway will not solve the problem :(

Wireshark captures of problematic and successful calls (made on PBX host) can highlight the real source of problem.
    Could you please open support ticket?

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. andykeen

Hi Stepan

Thanks for the info - before I open a ticket I thought I would just give you a quick run down of the problem (To see if I should still open a ticket.)

I have had 3 customers call us stating that when they press the key pad on their phone the tones are not recognised and they cannot make a selection. I have found out the two of these customers (who work from home) have the same BT Verve 450 system.

As it happens I also have one of these as a home phone and so I called a standard phone and pressed the keys to hear the tone and it appears that you can hear an initial click (very short click) just before the tone is produced.

I have played around with the DTMF settings on the Linksys according to a web site page I found (Can tell you which one if you require) and I got a little more success but not much - in that if you press the key after the autoattendant message has finished then it will accept a selection - but its a bit hit and miss and I cannot guarantee this will resolve issues for all phones.

That said at lot of phones I have called in-on seem to work fine.

Finally - you said -
    Wireshark captures of problematic and successful calls (made on PBX host) can highlight the real source of problem.
    Could you please open support ticket?

I am not sure what Wireshark is and how to open a support ticket so if you dont mind perhaps you could please advise me of this and how to do the wireshark.

Thank you and Regards
    Andy

7. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Wireshark (http://www.wireshark.org/) is the tool which can capture network traffic at the "transport" level. Doing this it provides a very objective information which can be used for investigations.

Thanks
    P.S. It can help to understand the problem and to provide most effective solution for the cases which are rather exceptional then common

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. andykeen

Hi Stepan

I have posted a synopsis of the problem (See my last) - is this enough or do you need more.

Thank you

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi Andy,

http://www.3cx.com/forums/ivr-not-recognising-tones-from-mobile-15697.html#p89294

Thanks

10. andykeen

Hi stepan
    Thank you - I have not checked out the article - about to do that - but before I do I just wanted to clarify that the issue is with BT dect phones not recognising dtfm tones not mobiles - does that make the referred article still valid ?

Thank you

11. andykeen

Hi Stepan

I have tried the link to the article and it tells me
    I am not able to view that article or forum - can't remember which?

Can you assist further please ?

12. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi Andy,

Sorry, I didn't know that you have no access to partner forum. There is another description of the same problem in that post, nothing special.
    Usually, PSTN gateways recognize DTMF signals in audio signal delivered by PSTN line and then deliver it to PBX in "digital" form - "SIP INFO request" or "RFC2833 RTP paylod" (see http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/dtmf-rfc2833/)
    Quality of DTMF tone detection depends on PSTN gateway functionality and quality of signal received by the gateway from remote party. It is a surprise for me that quality of DTMF tone detection depends on outgoing signal.

Thanks

13. mchristsen

Andy

We have the same issue going on with our 3CX install.
    1 POTS line with a 3102 attached
    1 CallCentric VoIP line

When calling into our POTS line from a mobile phone, the mobile phone user cannot make menu selections while the Attendant message is playing. When the message stops playing, they can make a selection. I will have to double check this, but I believe this is not symptomatic of every mobile network (Verizon vs ATT in the US). Mobile Phones don't make a difference (different phones on same network product same result).

If I call our VoIP number from a symptomatic mobile phone, I can interrupt the Attendant with my selection, as expected.

LandLines in general don't experience this problem calling into either line.

Calling in from my Vonage account and making a selection causes the Attendant to reset and replay the message (this is new).

Summary
    Any call - > VoIP Line - OK
    Mobile to POTS Line - No menu selection until Attendant is finished
    POTS to POTS Line - OK
    VoIP to POTS Line - Attendant Menu resets when a menu selection is made, even when the Attendant is finished.

I am running 3CX V9 SP4 with a Linksys SPA3102 f/w v 5.1.10

Any thoughts? We are thinking of changing out the Linksys for Patton.
    Michael.

14. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

Hi Michael,

It looks like that the problem sits somewhere on the path from VoIP/Mobile to POTS line...
    P.S. Sorry, but we can use only "deductive methods" to find the "offender" in this case :)

15. mchristsen

I figured it might have something to do with the call routing, and its affect on the DTMF tonig. I guess my hope is that changing PSTN Gateway hardware might alleaviate some of the issues.

Michael.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.