• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Too-frequent SIP trunk re-registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonathanc

Free User
Reaction score
One of my VoIP providers tells me that my 3CX v15.5 installation is trying to re-register with their service every second - in spite of the fact that registration has already been successful and the connection is secure. There used to be a setting called 'Time between registration attempts' in previous versions of 3CX, but I can't find it in this latest version - only 'Re-register timeout' under each trunk (set by default to 3600). Am I just not looking hard enough? It couldn't be a Cisco SPA phone connected to the PBX triggering these events, could it?

The Event and Activity logs don't seem nearly as detailed as they used to be, so I'm finding it hard to follow what's going on.

Any help, please?

Hello @jonathanc

Please note that the PBX will sent the first registration request to the provider and the provider will reply back with a re-registration expiry in the 200 OK message. The PBX will use that to re-register to the provider. So i would recommend starting a wireshark capture on the PBX and see the register messages between the PBX and the provider. Check what the PBX is sending and what is the reply from the provider.
You can filter the capture by using a filter like "sip.CSeq.method==REGISTER" which will only display register messages

Many thanks, YiannisH_3CX

I collected the Wireshark logs, which showed the initial SIP trunk re-registration which I forced, but nothing for at least 5 minutes thereafter (rather than the once-a-second claimed by the SIP provider support agent). I sent the logs to him, but so far without reply.

Meanwhile, prompted by your information, I tried reducing the Re-register timeout to 60 seconds, and that seems to have solved the problem.

So thanks again: as bunnies go, I'm a happy one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.