• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Too much... too little.

Status
Not open for further replies.

data37

Customer
Basic Certified
Reaction score
I am new to 3cx but not new to VOIP.

I have been working with VOIP for about 6 years now. IT for over 25 years.

I am looking at the proper 'box' to install for my clients. We usually install 5 - 10 'other' phone systems per year - but since we have found 3cx - I am think we can take that number to 50.

But my concern is the PC to install.

Have any installed using this box? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5i3ryk.html

It's nice because they have the i3, i5, and i7.

My current quote I am working on has a couple of locations with 25 users in one location - and about 15 in another. I do plan on bridging the systems.

I also purchased one of HP mini streams - nice little box for only $200. I added 2 GIG to it so I can have a nice test box.

Thoughts?

Keith

I just found this:

http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CX_Phone_System_Operating_System_Specifications.pdf

But still curious on what you guys are using.

Keith

data37 said:
Have any installed using this box? http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/nuc/nuc-kit-nuc5i3ryk.html

Hi Keith,

We install on NUCs all the time. We generally don't go with the SFF version though, this way we can fit a second SSD in and make provisions for a second NIC. Although they are well spec'd we use the NUC (i5 8gb ram, dual ssd) up to a 16SC installation, after this we custom build hardware for our clients.

Hope this helps

data37 said:
I also purchased one of HP mini streams - nice little box for only $200. I added 2 GIG to it so I can have a nice test box.

Please post your findings on this. I'm considering one later in the year. Baring the use of an adapter, I'm curious if a standard SSD could be added. There's room, but a connection?

I have used Apple Mac Minis running bootcamp successfully - although just 1 drive and 1 power supply - no fault tolerance. Worked fine for 3 years while I was there. Still running like a champion. These systems have between 10 and 70 endpoints -both using Abyss.

I have recently been working with a vendor on a 1u Supermicro server with Dual Sata3 500gb HD running in Raid 1. Only 1 Power Supply - but will have a backup on hand just in case. CPU - E3-1220V3 HASWELL, OS - Windows 2012 Essentials. Would run 3cx on Abyss because of the IIS Limitation. This system will start with 60 endpoint and grow over the next few years.

I like the sounds of the HP - but can it stand up to the hammering of recordings?

leejor said:
data37 said:
I'm curious if a standard SSD could be added. There's room, but a connection?

I read on the CNET reviews of this box that there is no adapter for a SSD even on their higher end models but this was being looked at for a later release.

I've just ordered one of each spec and will be testing over the next week or so.

craigreilly said:
I like the sounds of the HP - but can it stand up to the hammering of recordings?

The more expensive version , the Pavillion 300, has an i3 processor and a standard 2.5 inch (rotating platter) hard drive, which could be swapped out for SSD. That models should be able to handle recordings, within limits, of course.

Those Pavilions look nice. Wish they had the option of no HD so you can add an SDD.

It's about a wash with the NUC when you add Windows 8.1

I have pushed for virtualization across the board.. even for the "one server" shops for the AD DS and bits on an Essentials server. Adding a Windows 8 Pro VM onto that hypervisor would be considered overkill by some.. but the burden is pretty light either way.
Add the 3CX vm on, whatever the host runs is usually good enough.
Offices too small for servers.. starting to rethink whether 3CX or *gasp* hosted IP PBX. We don't get enough traction to fire up the multitenant and do it ourselves.

ucs1 said:
data37 said:

Hi Keith,

We install on NUCs all the time. We generally don't go with the SFF version though, this way we can fit a second SSD in and make provisions for a second NIC. Although they are well spec'd we use the NUC (i5 8gb ram, dual ssd) up to a 16SC installation, after this we custom build hardware for our clients.

Hope this helps

Can you point me in the right direction of the model Nuc you use? You mention you don't go with the SFF version. What model/version do you use?

I would go cloud on small deployments like that.

bardissi said:
I would go cloud on small deployments like that.

I wish I could. Its for a small mom and pop Hotel (17 rooms). No static IP. Just deploying a 3cx 4 call lic. Customer has 2 POTS lines. Very Small. Also, using a Grandstream GXW4224 FXS.

Believe me I wish I Could.

@superior1,

Not really answering your question but:
Renting cloud space is very expensive here.
Therefor I am using a Shuttle Barebone XS35V3, D2700 CPU, 4GB mem, 64GB SDD, Win 10 Pro 64 bit, 3CX v12.5 4SC, several VoIP lines, 2 FXO for backup, Fax, 8 local extensions (Snom, Yealink, iPhone) and 7 external extensions (GS, Gigaset, Cisco, Snom)
No problem.

Frank,

I know that BVoIP has a node in Amsterdam and the pricing is pretty agressive if you as me!

As far as the on-prem units go make sure you go 64 bit and have room to add more ram in the future.

I have used a Zotac mini which is similar to a NUC. Some units support RAID 1 using their mini adapter and have i Intel series processors along with the ability to increase RAM.

The only issue about the reported hotel install is that by running the Pro version you will be forced to use Abyss. Abyss will restart every morning which may impact any self-registered guest wake-up calls that may have been set at around that time. I think the restart begins around 4:00AM local and while I am uncertain if this does indeed impact same, be sure to test it if the client has any inkling of using it now or in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxFrank
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.