Transfer sometimes slow or dropped

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by nml, Oct 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nml

nml

3CX V.8 -- Atom 330, Server 2003, 1 gig RAM, 80 gig HD. 12 users -- all are grandstream GXP 2020. 2x SN 4114 gateways to PSTN (analog). License = 16.

Can anyone tell me why a transfer would be slow (i.e. 60 second delay before transfer is initiated) or why a transfer would just disconnect after attempt? These are blind transfers using both inside and outside lines.

This is very disturbing. This entire system is less than a week old.

2. nml

nml

Adding a better description of the issue after reproducing it on site....it really isn't slow. I take that part back. Here are the steps:

1. Caller calls in, call is answered by A.
    2. A initiates blind transfer to B (presses transfer, dials extension, presses send). Phone says "transferring...."
    3. While the phone is "transferring...", A must wait on the line until B answers or B's VM answers. If A hangs up before an answer, the call is dropped.
    4. When B or B's VM finally answers (assuming A waited around for that), it says "Transfer Complete" and the call is satisfactory.

I've tried disabling re-invites for each user - no effect. Don't know if it's a phone setting or PBX setting.

3. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Wait so if i got it right...

100 Blind Transfers 101 to 103.
    You (100) are now waiting for 103 to answer... If he decides to do so.

So you just want to remove the part where you are actually waiting for 103 to answer the call, am i right?
    You just want to send the call off and not have to wait for the other guy to answer. That would indeed be a BLIND transfer but with a big downside.

The Slow part:
    Imagine trying to Blind transfer as you say to an extension that is unregistered or to an extension that is busy.
    The call would get Dropped and your customer would have to call back and possibly face the same problem again.

I think in a MUCH older version the behavior used to be like this, but it was changed due to the implications i just mentioned.

The Droped Call Part:
    If you Drop A of course the whole call will drop, that is standard behavior. If A Drops the call, with who is B gonna be talking to? The call was not transfered yet, it was in the middle of being transferred.

Did i get the whole thing Right? Or did i completely missunderstand you :D ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nml

nml

No, you got it right...

I would assume the transfers would work exactly the same as if I just called them up directly -- where if the phone isn't registered or is busy, it goes to VM (or whatever is configured).

I also assume that when you hit transfer for a blind transfer, you don't have to wait around for the other guy (or his VM) to answer...isn't that the point of a blind transfer - to send the call on its way? A doesn't want to talk to this guy, and the guy is hearing the hold music, but apparently it's still A's responsibility to wait around for B or B's voicemail? If B's phone is ringing, A should have nothing to do with it anymore.

5. dchesnut

I have to say that if you do a blind transfer then you should not have to wait for someone to answer the phone. I'm currently evaluating the 3cx product for a 200 phone installation with the possibility of several other sites but this is a show stopper for me. I have a receptionist that should be able to pickup an incoming call find out who it is for then transfer it directly to them and move on without having to wait for someone to answer or for the voice mail to pick which could be on the order of 20 seconds depending on how many rings are configured. Why not just have the call bounce back to the sending station if for some reason the extension isn't registered or there is some other problem like that. Also, why should it matter if they are on the phone since the system should do whatever the user asked it to do, either come up on an additional line or go straight to voice mail. This is what our current PBX system does. That's what I would expect it to do.

I have to say that other than this I like the 3cx product. It shows a lot of promise. I'd be very interested if this can be resolved. I've spent at least a couple of hours trying to figure out why my transfers go no where. I've found it's really easy to cut someone off the way it's currently configured for transfers.

6. nml

nml

dchesnut, I have to say, your milage may vary. Other than this hiccup, 3cx has been good to us. I don't quite have 200 users though. The transfer even seems like it works sometimes. How is 3cx designed to do a blind transfer?

7. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

3CX doesn't have any problems with blind transfer. After blind transfer (AKA unattended transfer) phone will disconnect immediately, not waiting for destination to answer. If it doesn't -- it means you're doing attended transfer.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. dchesnut

I found my problem. It was an issue with the VOIP provider. Blind transfers are now working well.

9. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

NML - this is related to your potential problem..

The atom processor could be a bottleneck at times I think in my opinion.. The atom is all about energy consumption. So the CPU goes like in "sleep" mode when not busy reactivating in full function only when needed. This means that it needs that factor of time until it gets to know that it needs to increase power to process. If at that time a call comes in or requests a transfer, there will be delay. This procedure is critical and takes full power to complete taking the priority everything running on the machine.

The Atom in performance is not a competitor for the Core 2 Duo. The Atom is designed for ultra portables, for power consumption and as the world's smallest chip. Can you make a performance counter on the machine? Because if you see that the performance is high we can tweak 3CX and the system around it to generate less traffic (therefore less amount of processing)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.