Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Transfered caller ends up in a "Set Up Voicemail" area

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by craigreilly, Nov 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

We have a user who claims they see an incoming call on their screen and when they pick it up it is gone.
    In the logs, it says their phone was busy and the call went to voicemail.

Their extension is setup to go to voicemail after 20 seconds when no answer or when busy. But, he also has option to accept more than 1 call at the same time.

When we talk to the incoming caller, they say they got transferred to a "Setup Voicemail" prompt.

Anyone else experience this ?

we are on v11 SP1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. markshehan

markshehan New Member

The combination of the two could be that something else is intercepting it and has not set up the voicemail. It isnt set to ring a cellphone at the same time and the cell phone voicemail is not set up? I have seen that before. It would explain a lot of things.

If not then we would need to see the logs, but it sounds like 2 problems.

1. Phone not getting calls
    2. Caller sent to set up voicemail prompt

If his extension is set up as you say, then he may have a different setting for internal and external calls. But more likely he managed to change his status to something like away, out of office or even DND in 3cx (not the phone) all of which would send immediately to voicemail.

The second problem is harder. You should only get that by logging in to voicemail with the pin and pressed some buttons. So check the voicemail from the phone and make sure it is set up

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. craigreilly

Attached a screen shot of his "Available" setting which is currently set. I also checked the phone and it is not in DND mode either.
    The phone rang - thus the reason he tried to pick it up.

The phone hardware has no forwarding rules setup on it.

Also attached the log file from the point the first caller picked up the call from the Ring Group at extension 4731 (She's answering inbound calls today).

Attached Files:

4. markshehan

markshehan New Member

In your call log at 09:08:52 3cx got a 486 busy here from the phone.

5. markshehan

markshehan New Member

So either the phone isnt registered, the extension is stuck as out of office, or the phone has a fault.

The message comes from a Yealink t38 so we can assume that it isnt a softphone also registered but sending a busy before the Yealink.

There could be another Yealink that is also registered and it is sending a busy, but unlikely.

My initial reaction is a glitch in the phone itself. Maybe a power cycle will clear it or if it has always been like this then a firmware check and even a factory reset may do it.

It is definitely the phone sending the status so 3cx is obeying the rules.

6. craigreilly

I reset the phone after user told me of the issue and will continue to monitor. I wouldn't doubt a hardware issue. I have sent 3 or 4 T38's back under warranty for avrying issues.
    In the phone list on Console, I only see one ext 4700 registered.

The weird part is that the user says it rings and he sees it on his display and goes to answer it. Then it fails.

I'll keep an eye on it - thanks for the feedback.

7. markshehan

markshehan New Member

It sounds like when he picks up instead of a 200 ok being sent by the phone it sends a 486 busy. That really sounds like firmware issue. Not sure if you can downgrade then upgrade or just reflash it but if it happens when he picks up rather than just letting it ring then I would just send the phone back.

8. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Craig -

Really sounds like a DND issue. You can set DND at the phone which will be completely transparent to the 3CX system. Only when the extension comes into play does the phone then inform 3CX that it is not available (while in the DND mode, it gives a busy here indication), which I have found may not be soon enough to stop the initial ring (I generally get a partial ring, but this may be more a function of the ring wav selected). The caller then tries to answer only to be met with a dial tone which he then assumes to be a dropped call, when in fact, the system simply went on to handle the call in the next manner (rule) stipulated.

I assume the caller could have set DND (off or on or both) accidentally. This can also occur if the user has a softphone (3CX softphone) set to the same extension and it is set to DND. The key is what caused the busy. Whatever it was, then caused the system to send to Vmail, but have no idea about why the set-up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.