Transfers and Caller ID

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by LLangston, Aug 28, 2007.

1. LLangston

Hello everyone, first let me introduce myself. My name is Laura and I work for a small company in Shreveport, LA. We have recently installed the Small Business version of 3CX and currently have a Grandstream 2000, a Grandstream BT-200 and a Handy Tone- 286 set up and configured with a GXW-4104 voip gateway.

I am in the process of making the small adjustments to make everything work the way they are supposed to and I am having difficulty with two areas, transfers and caller ID.

With the transfer, when the intended party picks up the transferred call they are not able to hear the caller. The caller can hear them though. For example...John Doe calls the office and I answer the phone, John Doe wants to speak to my boss so I transfer the call to my boss' extension. My boss can't hear John Doe but John Doe can hear my boss. I have not been able to figure out what is configured wrong or not configured at all.

Caller ID...as best I can tell it is set to be on but everything is showing up as unknown. Again what am I missing here.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any advice and/or help.

2. LLangston

Ok, I have the problem with the Caller ID taken care of :D ; but I am still having trouble with call transfers. Anyone have any ideas of what could be causing the problem.

3. LLangston

Transfer issue has been solved. I just needed to check the Bind to Media Server box on the extensions.

4. sebastien

Hello Laura,

Ok, John Doe wants to speak with your boss. I am testing the free version of 3CX, how do you manage to pass the conversation to him ? can you do it with the keyboard of your phone ?

Thanks for your help.

5. LLangston

Sebastion,
    If I am following your question correctly, the answer is that I do use the phone to transfer calls. I have not yet tried to transfer calls with the Call Assistant. We upgraded from the free version of 3CX to the Small Business version. At the time that we upgraded is when it was handed to me to hammer out. We never incorporated the free version into our office as the person who had been working on it left the company and I was his replacement. But as I understand it the method of transfering calls did not change and outside of the call assistant is largly dependant on what type of phone that you are using. We have a Grandstream 2000, a Grandstream BT-200 and an analog phone with a Grandstream HandyTone-286 with a Grandstream GXW-4104 gateway. With the two grandstream phones we just use the transfer button, with the analog phone we use the flash button to put John Doe on hold then dial the ext. that John Doe wishes to talk to; when the ext. picks up we are able to hang up the phone to complete the transfer.

I did find that all ext. needed to have the 'Bind to Media Server' box checked in the phone configurations for the transfers to work properly.

I hope that I have been able to answer your question, if not please clarify and I will be happy to assist.

6. AlecM

Hi Laura,

I also have a GXW-4104, but with a set of BT200's (no mix of handsets).
    I have not yet been able to get the attended transfer working for external calls (in the UK anyway).

Internal transfers of both attended or blind work OK.

Blind transfers work for external calls (but only after changing the SIP ID field in the extensions to match the extension number - this value was defaulting to the user name, like alec.maclean, when creating extensions).

Other than the "Bind to Media Server" (which I have now tried but still no luck), was there anything else you set either in 3CX or the handsets themselves?

Thanks.

Alec

7. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Not trying to be a jerk but questions like these are best entered in the general area. You'll get more lookers and probably quicker answers.

Anyway - transfers should work just fine even with the free version as long as your phone supports it.

I know with the Linksys SPA series phones there is a setting to accept blind transfers. Without that being set to YES blind transfers do not work. Regular attended ones do though.

please post your logs with a sample call where it's failing.

8. LLangston

Hi Alec,
    Once I had checked the 'Bind to Media Server' for all extensions all of the transfers worked great.

However, we had audio quality issues with the Grandstream products and decided to return them to the vendor and we went with the AudioCodes MP-114 4 port FXO gateway and the polycom Soundpoint 501 phones. Much better audio quality straight out of the box.

Sorry I could not be of more help.