Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

trouble getting patton 4112 up and running

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by asinshesq, Apr 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asinshesq

Hi. My set up is as follows:

- several voip phones properly registered in 3cx and working on my internal lan

- several POTS phones plugged into an analog external US phone service (Fairpoint)

I am trying to add a patton smartnode 4112 to the mix so that my voip phones will be able to access an outgoing line. I gave it a static IP on my lan and I can access it's web config page at that ip address.

I then added the patton gateway to c3x by clicking 'add gateway' in the c3x config page, specifying the gateway model and following the defaults. In particular I did specify that this was a US installation.

The installation appeared to go fine and generated a config file for the gateway that I then uploaded to the gateway via the gateway's config web page.

Everything seemed to go fine, and in the c3x config page when I go to VOIP/PSTN gateway I can see what I added.

But when I connect the gateway's fxs 0/0 to my external analog telephone line, it suddenly makes all other POTS phones in my house that are directly plugged into the same analog line unusable (very loud interference…so much noise that I am afraid I will wind up hurting the POTS phones). This is true even though I am not using any voip phone to make an outgoing call, so it's strange (I would have thought that until you try to make an outgoing call through the smartnode 4112 that port would simply be open and thus would cause no interference on my analog line).

I then went back to the gateway config web page and when I opened up the fxs port entries I saw that (a) the specified country was the patton default of etsi rather than US and (b) the port was disabled.

When I tried switching that to US and enabled the port, plugging it in to my external phone line resulted in a pure short (at least I think that's what it was because when it remained plugged in I was no longer able to hear any dial tone when I pick up the other POTS phones).

In adding the gateway, I created an outgoing rule to access the gateway if the user dials 9, but I see that that doesn't work either. In case it's relevant, here's the log entry for when I tried to dial 9 (though perhaps this is telling me nothing more than that I don't yet have the fxs port connected properly to the outside line?):

After I ran into these problems the first time around, I deleted the gateway from3cx and added it again (and re-uploaded the new config file to the gateway), but that didn't help...same results.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not certain as to why you are only sending a single digit (9) to 3CX. The outbound rule should deal with the entire string, beginning with 9, if you wish. The 9 should probably be stripped off before sending the number on to the gateway. You'll need to provide a few more details.

3. asinshesq

Thanks for the reply here and in my other topic. I'm guessing I will be able to get the outbound rule working once I sort out the line interference problem. Any thoughts on why the gateway is interfering with the analog phone line whenever I connect its fxs 0/0 port to the analog phone line, even when it's just sitting there idle? My understanding is that I'm supposed to connect one of the fxs ports of the gateway to the analog phone line, but as I said it kills the line when I do that.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. asinshesq

Hmmm. notwithstanding the description on amazon I think the gateway I have is only for connecting analog phones to a voip system (rather than connecting a voip system to an analog telephone service). The only rj11 ports it has are fxs ports and I think I need fxo ports to connect my system to an analog telephone service (which is what I think leejor was trying to tell me in the other topic). Back to amazon it goes...anyone got a recommendation for the cheapest gateway I can get for tying to an analog telephone service and that would be easy to configure on 3cx?

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have not used a Patton gateway before but there seems to be variations in the models. Some seem to have different combinations of FXS and FXO ports. An FXS port will put out voltage, so you don't want to plug one into a phone line that also has a voltage. If you plug a phone into a socket and the phone no longer sounds "dead", then it is probably an FXS port.

If you are looking for an inexpensive , single line gateway, then you will probably go for a Cisco (Linksys) or Grandstream device. Personally...I prefer the SPA-3102 as you get an FXS port as well. It's been around for a long time, and some argue that that is a reason to go for a more recent device. Some have found it a bit tricky to configure but I can help you (through the forum) get it set-up. It is a bit intimidating as there are a lot of settings, but most don't need to be changed. Price is about $80 (give or take $10) US, but shop around as they can go on "sale" on sites like Amazon.

6. 12494

12494 Member

If you have a Patton device you should be contacting Patton for support. Their telephone support is THE BEST. Or maybe you need an answer before Monday morning?

Allen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.