Trouble using 3CX externally

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by gateway978, Jan 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gateway978

Hi guys,

So I've managed to get the system working perfectly onsite, internally, but I'm having some problems using it away from the network.

The public IP is set to the the public IP of my internet connection that the server is hosted on, static'd by my ISP.
    The extension I'm testing it on allows external usage.

The network is behind a Netgear firewall, with ports 5060, 5090, and 9000-9049, and 10000 open, which is then connected to our modem that has the firewall disabled.

My home network is a BT Home Hub, runnign XLite, I have opened 5060 on my Windows firewall, and forwarded all traffic from that port to my laptop.

I was wondering if the server needs any further configuration, or if the softphone does. When I put the IP in, I've tried just the IP, then I also tried putting the :5060 on the end so it even goes through that port at the other end, but it's still not working.

I'm very confused, any help?

Ryan

2. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

Hi,

First of all you should uncheck the option "Disallow use of extension outside LAN " on the extension that you want to use external.
    After that see if the socket that you opened on server side is reachable. Try to make a telnet connection from your home to the public IP of your PBX on port addresses that you have forwarded.
    At your home you can use 3CX Phone because it has a Tunneling option incorporated and it helps passing through firewalls and NAT. It is also a good option to disable the Windows firewall for testing purpose to see if this is what cause the problems.
    Check also if you have any antivirus or internet security solution that could block your connection.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you continue to have issues, be sure that there is no port conflict, with the built in ATA , in the BT Home Hub.

4. gateway978

I've definitely got it unticked to allow external calls. I also tried using the tunnel on 3CX for Android but that didn't work, the only way I did was VPNing into my network, but that's not ideal really, or what I'm trying to achieve!

It's strange, because I've tested it within the network - changing a softphone here to go through the external IP address, but it still doesn't seem to work.

I've also tried on my website domain setting it up with a DNS Zone, putting the IP address there, and setting it up so I don't have to remember the IP address, but no luck there either.

Is there a step by step set up of this, because I'm probably doing something wrong somewhere along the lines that I can't work out.

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I don't see any reason to map port 5060 at your home to anything. Are you using stun?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. danhriscanu

danhriscanu New Member

You can find here http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/remote-extensions/ instructions how to setup a remote extension for hard phones. The SIP settings should be the same so maybe you can find some helpful information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.