Trunk Registration

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by techdummy, Oct 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Hi,

I've a doubt. Can a single trunk be used with 2 3cx servers?
    Will both the 3cx servers get registered on the trunk without any issues.
    Or is it that we can only used a trunk on one server?

Thanks

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

One trunk one server, you will get all sorts of issues with call routing etc.

NickD_3CX likes this.
  3. techdummy

techdummy New Member

I'm sorry, I didnt understand what you meant by "issues" if one trunk is used for one server.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If your provider allows SIP Forking (two registered devices, same account, at the same time), then there should be no reason it won't work. You would have the same issues, as registering two sets, one at work and one at home. If one were in use, and your provider only allowed one concurrent call, then an outbound attempt from the other location would fail. Any incoming call would ring both location, but show as a missed call if the other location answered, with no clear indication that that happened? Was it a missed call, or did some some actually pick up. A few things to consider when planning how the trunk routing will be set up at each location.

5. techdummy

techdummy New Member

Thank you for the reply @leejor
    I'm not planning to use our SIP trunk in 2 locations.
    I have taken a backup of our production server(12.5) and restored it on the Demo version(15.5) for testing purpose.
    Since both the servers have access to Internet and since I restored the same configuration onto the DEMO, I just wanted to know whether the trunk will also get registered with the DEMO server as it could cause problems for us.
    As far as I can see, it hasn't registered.
    Is there any possibility that it will register?

6. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

In order to ensure that the trunk will not register to the Demo PBX you can delete the registrar field and replace it with a fake ip or change the register credentials. You can also edit the trunk navigate to options tab and unselect allow Inbound and outbound calls

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If you are registering using an FQDN and not an IP, the FQDN would have to be updated for your provider to reach you, if the new server is at a different location. What error messages (3CX Activity Log) do you get when unable to register? Is your provider, of any help, as to what they see as incorrect, when this happens?

8. Sopock

Sopock Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.