Trunks missing?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by boo_yar, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo_yar

Hi there,

I have taken over admin of a 3cx phone system and confused as to why I only see 4 trunks in the 3cx trunk status window and yet we have 3 ISDN2e devices plugged into our Patton 4638? Am I right to assume we should be seeing 6 trunks as each ISDN2e connection provides two lines?

I have checked the obvious such as the ports on the Patton are enabled and the ISDN2e are configured correctly by BT with no issues reported.

Newbie help needed :)

Thanks!

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If there are indeed 6 ISDN lines (B Channels), then each should have a phone number, correct?

From another phone, call each in sequence. See if they each ring into the PBX, and see if you encounter two that just ring, with no answer. If lines all do make it through, then check the 3CX log, it will show how each is coming into the board.

Have there been complaints about people ringing in, but no one answering, or, problems placing outbound calls because all trunks are busy? That should be the first indication of something "missing".

3. boo_yar

Thanks for your response.

When I checked our phone bill from BT the ISDN is being billed to only one number and all three ISDN2e's have the same number stuck on them.

If I call the ISDN number it rings a few times then goes to the BT 1571 service (voice mail).

The problem we have is that if all the channels are used up we get 'call failed' on the handsets so I need to increase our capacity.

So if I have 6 ISDN lines I should see 6 trunks, right? At the moment I only see four.

If you need more info/screen shots then please let me know.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The trunks missing may be the next ones in sequence, in the settings. Going by the four that are already data-filled in both the PBX and gateway, you may be able to determine "what comes next", if the missing trunks, do indeed , come after , what now exists. Work on the gateway first.

5. boo_yar

I did some more testing today and we can make six outgoing calls despite only having four trunks?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Are some of the trunk groups, in 3CX, set to allow more than 1 call at at a time?

7. boo_yar

In the Ports/Trunks Status window I have four virtual extension numbers from 10000 to 10003.

When I check the settings of each trunk the maximum number of simultaneous calls is 2.

Why has the system been set up in this way? Should I have six trunks?

FYI, I have ordered an additional ISDN2e connection today to allow up to eight lines which is the max the Patton device we have can support.

Cheers!

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It sounds as if each ISDN line (two numbers) is set up as one trunk group. This might be because of the set-up of the particular gateway, or as a way to manage calls. You may be able to set it to treat each ISDN line as an individual trunk (6 trunks total). Before going to the trouble this I would check to see if there is any downside, or benefit. If it is because you are not receiving calls on some lines, then you may need to double check the inbound routes for each of the current trunk groups.

9. boo_yar

Thanks for your help!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.