• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Try out the latest Android release in BETA

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonidasG_3CX

Support Team
Staff member
Reaction score
This BETA release of the 3CX client for Android is literally packed with improvements, new features and some interface changes; we can\'t wait for you to try it out and let us know what you think. The highlights of this release are less battery and memory usage, huge improvements on PUSH reliability, the ability to have multiple mobile devices regi...
Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: jed
Is there a link for download outside the google PlayStore?

Unexpected behavior on pressing the back button:
- The button has to be pressed twice to go back to home screen.
- When start typing on the dialpad, I would assume that going back with the back button will reset the input.

and where is update 6 ?

15.5SP6 might take a while to appear since SP5 is out only a few weeks

Unexpected behavior on pressing the back button:
- The button has to be pressed twice to go back to home screen.

This is an expected behavior - since the exit button has been removed from the client as an alternative, double tap the back button will exit the client (Please read the full change log)

- When start typing on the dialpad, I would assume that going back with the back button will reset the input.

When the back button pressed twice then the client will need few seconds to close all the connection and exit in the background properly. However, you have to wait few seconds and you will see that any input will be reseted.

The "new" way to close the application is the android task manager.
Pressing the back button once, the application should stay in the background and home screen should be shown. This behavior is implemented by all other applications I know.

Also if you were right, the task manager shouldn't list the 3CX client after going "Back", but the app stays active in the background.
So please implement the Back button like all others.

There is still the bug, that a notification sound is played, when unlocking the device and a call was missed. So the notification sound will be played while missing, on unlocking device and showing 3cx app, but also when another background app is waking up the device and the 3cx app was last active.

Notifying missed called is ok when it would happens only once. But I would prefer to disable sound notification on missed calls completely.

The "new" way to close the application is the android task manager.
Pressing the back button once, the application should stay in the background and home screen should be shown. This behavior is implemented by all other applications I know.

1) Pressing the back button once while in the main dialer page will do nothing. Pressing it twice will put the app in the background.
I think you've understood something completely different from what we intended. The text "Press back again to exit" doesn't explicitly say that pressing back will KILL the app, it says it will just exit. In our case, "Exit" means to just exit from the app/put it in the background.

If you want to kill the app, you'll need to open your task manager to do this.

2) In the "More" menu, there used to be an "Exit" button. This was removed in this version as it was redundant. Users should use the Android task manager to kill the 3CX app if they really need to.

Also if you were right, the task manager shouldn't list the 3CX client after going "Back", but the app stays active in the background.
So please implement the Back button like all others.

This feature is here to stay. If you disagree strongly, i'd suggest you go to the "Ideas" forum page, start a thread about this subject. If a significant amount of people agree with you, this could force us to review this part.

So what would be the advantage of tapping twice?
As the application is only going in background and the already entered values aren't cleared, the button does exactly what the Home-button is doing.
But the Home-button has no message about are you really sure? Than tap again.

So what evil things would happen on the back button, when you need to prevent doing this action accidentally?

So what would be the advantage of tapping twice?
As the application is only going in background and the already entered values aren't cleared, the button does exactly what the Home-button is doing.
But the Home-button has no message about are you really sure? Than tap again.

So what evil things would happen on the back button, when you need to prevent doing this action accidentally?

It's simply for the following scenario:

1) I'm in a sub menu like: Settings > Advanced Settings > Codecs.
2) I want to go back to the dialer page. To do this i press Back, Back, Back, Back.
3) I've pressed back 1 too many times and instead of ending up in the dialer page, i've ended up in my Android's home page.

With this verification check, this case is prevented from happening. That's the point. That's all.
Keep in mind that this is a very typical feature in many apps to prevent the user from accidentally pressing the "Back" button one too many times and thus accidentally exiting the app.

Now if the user explicitly presses the "Home" button, this is fine, let him to back to his Android's home page. There's no reason to prevent the user from pressing his "Home" button.

I'm not understanding why this is such a big problem for your part though. Nothing's changed other than the need for 1 extra tap of the back button if you really want to exit the button. I see no argument from your behalf on why this shouldn't be the case, only mentions that it's for some reason "Unexpected Behavior".

Again i'll have to suggest the "Ideas" forum for this. See if your idea gains more traction, lets see other people's opinion on whether this is a good or bad idea and why. Right now from the many users using this app, there's only 1 voicing dislike towards this tiny usability feature, i'd like to see more if it's truly as important as you say.

Let's see it from a normal daily usage.
The previous behavior was, that the back button was just going back without any notification.
As this is done in all other applications. (I have tested it on other application deeply in the settings -> the back button was never breaking its behavior, except when the back button will delete already entered data)

Now, when you roll out the new release, all customers which are used to tap the back button once, will now be forced to do it twice. And they will surely call me how to disable this annoying warning message.

Your described scenario takes only effect when going back from settings, but normally the settings are all done via provisioning. So the normal user will not been facing this problem at all or extremely rarely. So you are implementing a functionality which will only help developers.

As a compromise, why don't you make it configurable? So every user could decide if he wants to protect the back button or not?

Let's see it from a normal daily usage.
The previous behavior was, that the back button was just going back without any notification.
As this is done in all other applications. (I have tested it on other application deeply in the settings -> the back button was never breaking its behavior, except when the back button will delete already entered data)

Now, when you roll out the new release, all customers which are used to tap the back button once, will now be forced to do it twice. And they will surely call me how to disable this annoying warning message.

Your described scenario takes only effect when going back from settings, but normally the settings are all done via provisioning. So the normal user will not been facing this problem at all or extremely rarely. So you are implementing a functionality which will only help developers.

As a compromise, why don't you make it configurable? So every user could decide if he wants to protect the back button or not?

1) There is no standard on how this should work. The ability to catch the back button and to perform a verification check is something common between most apps.
2) This is not a feature to help developers. It's function is very clear, lets not twist it into something else.
3) We'll consider adding functionality to disable or enable this. For this please open a thread in the ideas forum and see what traction it gets.

This is here to stay as a feature. Please use the ideas forums to get your ideas upvoted.

The user picture above the line buttons is not available. There is a standard black picture of a persons head. Sometimes the user picture appears but it's difficult to tell when it appears.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Members Online Now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
damiano giannini
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.