Tunnel solution for external extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by beaver, May 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beaver

Since we started to use a softphone on the company laptops we decided to solve the issue of the connection outside the office with a vpn connection that I have to say that works prety good. But I have to say that the tunnel feature looks really nice for that comunication issue.
    1.Now can this be done with the X-lite or there is another softphone that works better with this feature?
    2. You can set the ip on the PBX as the IP that listen to the internet. (Public IP)? That is for avoid the forwardig ip.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would suspect the the Tunnel feature of the 3CX softphone is proprietary and could not be duplicated in a different make softphone. Something like X-ten would have to have the tunnel settings incorporated, I don't think it does (I's been a long time since I've used X-Ten Lite).
    As far as the IP of the server...If you are using VPN to connect to your office network then you can leave the IP of the 3CX as an internal IP. When you VPN in, you are essentially inside you network so you would be addressing devices with the internal IP ie. 192.168.1.XXX. If you want an external phone to be an extension of the 3CX and 3CX is behind a router you'll still have to port forward, You can't just make the IP the same as you public IP.If you have a dynamic IP then you can use DDNS. Your router may be capable of registering with a DDNS service, then your 3CX server (from the outside) would be something like my3cx.selfip.org:5060, or what ever domain name you registered. DDNS is usually used when you have a dynamic IP address, NOT a fixed IP. If you have a fixed IP AND you are behind a router then you will have to use port forwarding.

3. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. garethb_83

1. - The 3CX softphone software have the tunnel client built in..
    2. - Do you mean if the SIP tunneling software can be installed on the 3CX server direct and have tunneling/proxying integral without having to install it locally? This would be good if anyone can input. Especially when using SIP phones from mobile locations/home office.

3CX server running on server
    SIP Tunnelling Proxy running on the same 3cX server tunneling via loopback adaper or other network interface to 3CX Tunnel port 5090

Only port 5060/5080 open on firewall for external extensions

Hardware / Software phones configured for outbound proxy:5080 for the IP of 3CX server (External if portforwarded) internal if by tunnel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.