Two companies, share on VOIP infrastructure?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rstille, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstille

All, in a unique situation, and need your advice on configuration / setup ....

We have two companies sharing the same office space, and hence phone closet. We currently have 8 analog PSTN lines coming in from CBeyond communications.

We would like to share as much infrastructure as possible, but preserve the identity to the external world of two unique companies.

I have done, and continue to do, as much research as I can on my own. But I am new to all of this ...

Currently, there is NO analog pbx. the PSTN lines are sent directly to individual analog phones in the office

I would like to operate the PSTN side as follows:

Company A
    3 PSTN lines, connected to a 3CX server via VOIP FXO Gateway (Thinking about a Grandstream 410x)
    1 PSTN line - I would like to make this dedicated inbound only

Company B
    3 PSTN lines, connected to a 3CX server via VOIP FXO Gateway (Thinking about a Grandstream 410x)
    1 PSTN line - I would like to make this dedicated inbound only

The phones we are considering are Polycom IP 500's ... the price is right (they are free!)

Question is as follows ...

A) Can we share a single Grandstream 4108 (or similar) device, and somehow use the SIP profiles to delineate/route traffic to the correct 'set' of phones (company A vs B)?
    B) Can we share a single 3CX server? I'm thinking 'yes' ... that we can use the autoattendant feature to create two separate directories, based on the number dialed, and route that number to the proper autoattendant.

What am I missing?

Randy

2. rstille

UPDATE:

After talking with my CBeyond rep, we may not need the gateway device at all.

So the question really is for the 3cX configuration ... can you give the appearance of two unique companies inside the same PBX configuration? Or do we need to install 2 separate instances?

Thanks,
    Randy

3. TwigsUSAN

Yes, you can have two company appearances on the same phone system. You would point the incoming lines to two separate DR's (auto attendants) that represent that particular company. Then you would have different dial plans for outgoing dialing.

4. pjr

pjr New Member

its possible but you will encounter issues as certain elements will be shared no matter what.

If you deploy a company phonebook for example (although you can stop this being sent to Polycom Phones)

There is also a risk of cross company calling by extensions, cross company voicemail hacking, cross company paging etc

Why not use 2 smaller seperate 3CX installs?

Are you planning on using Polycom 501's or 550's?

3CX doesnt have a template for 501's

I think 3CX are working on a multi tenant edition though?

Paul

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. matictec

matictec New Member

Paul is right. It is possible, but the companies need a lot of trust. Outgoing calls can be controlled by outgoing rules. But calls that are done by system, such as, call forwarding to external numbers can not controlled safety or only with a static ruleset.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. mhanson

mhanson New Member

I would just drop 2 3CX minis Editions into the office, and if they need to share anything, bridge them.

Just imagine what will happen when someone calls company 1 and accidentally dials an extension for Company 2 and rings over to them?

The cost is so low that NOT having 2 systems is a mistake.

7. rstille

thanks all... .I will go with 2 separate installs. You're awesome!

8. mylove4life

mylove4life New Member

it would even be possible to use 2 installs on the same system in a virtual setup.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.