Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Two Internet Lines and 3cx?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Prodd, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Prodd

Hi,

I was wondering if this is possible.

I have an office network with about 50 computers on it. I would like to have a dedicated internet line just for 3cx and have my other internet activities run through a second line.

This would mean that if a computer is browsing it would use one line but then if that user were to make a 3cx call, that call would be routed through a different line.

Is this possible?

Thanks!

2. mixig

mixig Active Member

I have the same setup, what I did is I put static route for stun servers and sip server of my sip provider go via second link (link for voip), and one-to-one NAT on that link (from outside to inside)

3. 3CXfoxhallsolutions

3CXfoxhallsolutions New Member

Very possible! ... We do this all the time using Draytek Routers e.g. the V2830.
    These have a WAN1 port which is an ADSL modem, and a WAN2 ethernet port - which we put a Draytek V120 modem in front of for the second line. We then use the load-balancing policy to guide all traffic to and from the 3CX's IP address out of one WAN port (i.e. traffic to and from the SIP Trunk provider/carrier), and all remaining traffic i.e. web browsing, e-mail etc. goes out the other.

Can get a little tricky if your two DSL lines are from different ISP's - as you then have to be careful with DNS settings on your 3CX - but in general, we have many sites working this way and it does exactly what you ask for ...

best rgeards

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Wardy

Wardy New Member

Yes I have this working with a Draytek 2820

5. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

This is simply a routing matter. You can use 1 better router or 2 simple routers. Option one is a custom route, option 2 you simply put the IP of the second router as the default gateway on the 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Try also MikroTik router, even the simpler one -- RB750 will do the job (just $59.-) plus many more things.
    Regards

7. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

I'd start with a 450G and go up from there. They have 50 computers! a 750 is just enough for a small 5-10 PC network.

8. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

RB450G of course is better -- more memory, more CPU power.
    However depending on customer's profile, I have installations of RB750G with more than 50 PCs, not exceeding 20% CPU load.

Regards

9. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Orlin:

Use type has lots to do with it. Last week the 450G at my home had a small issue and for 4-5 hours I used a backup 750UP (PoE, no difference otherwise). 4 computers, Video cams 2 servers and 10ish phones - router pegging 70%+ cpu all the time. NAT, 2 L2TP tunnels.

10. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Charles,

I don't see this discussion fruitful, however 750UP has slower CPU than 750G and 450G, same architecture, much more memory than 750 series. Reaching 70% CPU load on 750UP in you case is indication for another (may be serious enough) network problem, but this topic is better to be moved to MikroTik forums, than being discusses into 3CX ones. I can't understand what are you trying to convince me. Of course more is better, but the 750 series performance is more than enough in most cases.

The only thing I would say is MikroTik routers are doing the job enough well for very little money. My modest experience about MikroTik is having installed and supporting over 200 routers with various 3CX implementations including cloud solutions.

Regards

11. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Orlin:

You are the one that mentioned the 750 and not 750G, keep your facts straight. To suggest that I need support from Mikrotik is quite funny, you may not realize that we sell, configure and maintain thousands of them per year and every engineer at SigmaVoIP is Mikrotik Certified (including myself).

The profiler clearly shows what processes jack up the CPU and between NAT and Queues you get up there quickly. We make extensive use of Queue trees for QoS.

I am certainly NOT attempting to convince you because obviously you already know everything, I don't want someone to take the suggestion at face value, run out, buy an under-powered device, spend days learning how to configure it to simply go back to square 1.

12. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

If mentioning 750 instead of 750G is something which I missed, your 750UP is equivalent to 750GL and 750 in performance, 750G is more powerful.

However, using simple queues into MikroTik may create significant CPU load, this is obviously the reason for this 70% load you mention. There are more advanced queue methods in MikroTik which will not use so much CPU power.

Still, 3CX forum is not the place to discuss MikroTik configurations.

Also -- selling thousands of MikroTik routers per year, you must have been ranked as MikroTik reseller #1 in USA.
    I can't see you listed into MikroTik resellers: http://www.mikrotik.com/buy/northamerica/usa -- just keeping straight to the facts.

Regards

13. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Orlin:

Please move on. You must use queues for QoS and if you again READ I use Queue Trees and not simple queues. This example also calls for a backup path and other added features (likely srcnat/dstnat changing upon netwatch trigger). Indeed I used the 750up example to respond to your 750 post, the 750G has the same CPU as the 450G but much less RAM. The 450G is the starting point period, and an RB1200 is the best option. On the reseller note, those are distributors and we source from Streakwave as we are not a warehousing/logistics driven company and we do not resell them without being part of an Integration project, need anything else? You have shown your ignorance on the subject matter. Quit while you are ahead.

14. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

You can use x86 architecture and you will get unbeatable performance (better than RB1200).
    Still I can't understand what you are trying to say or convince me or just spamming the forum.

I said several posts ago - the more the better.
    Better you quit this or may be your ego is suffering ?

I just saw only you pretending how great and experienced you are, but nothing to confirm.
    I don't find this discussion useful, so I will not respond to this rubbish furthermore.

15. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

Orlov:

You again show your ignorance. most x86 platforms out there cannot touch the performance of the new line of Mikrotik routers with the 16 and 32 core Tilera chips and they are $700.00. By the time you put together a white box, get decent multiport NICs you are way above the cost of the Routerboards. No need to stroke any ego, our numbers with 3CX speak volumes and our customer satisfaction is unmatched. With that said, I don't want people receiving the wrong advice from posts such as yours.

16. eagle2

eagle2 Well-Known Member

Neither customer would use your services, while showing such unprecedential arrogance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.