Ubiquiti VoIP with 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Anas Penwala, Aug 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anas Penwala

Hi Guys,

I need some help understanding how I can get things running at home.

I am unable to configure the VoIP Phones and it throws an error that it is not connected to the server. Error:0

Anyone saw any similar issues before?

THanks!

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Your post gives no detail. It only indicates that you have not been able to connect a remote phone, but fails to tell us how you currently have the phone set-up, how the 3CX system is set with regard to the extension being allowed to be outside the local LAN, how NAT is set, what 3CX logs shows, etc.. Just need more understanding of the environment.

3. Anas Penwala

Thanks for asking. I wasn't sure what was needed.

This is the first time I am working on the VoIP phones. I have worked on Wireless and Routers but I have never worked on VoIPs.

My house has 2 rooms. I wanted a phone in each room. I have the Phone line from Etisalat (UAE) and I have the Ubiquiti VoIP phones. I contacted these guys in Dubai but they told me they won't help at all, not even with a demo.

So, I created a trial account with 3CX. I have these phones adopted and managed in the UniFi VoIP controller.

Now, I have no idea what to do. I did follow the Ubiquiti guide for 3CX but I am sure I am lacking somewhere.

I don't understand what else is needed.

For now, I am only setting up these phones to work locally by contacting each other through extensions but ideally, I want to connect them to the Etisalat line, so that, if anyone calls, they are either asked to enter the extention number or all the phones start ringing up. I would prefer extension number though.

Please let me know if there is any other information required,

4. lneblett

So, what type of phone line and where is it located, at your home or at the 3CX site?

5. Anas Penwala

What type? Not sure what you mean.

It is at my home... 3CX site?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So... this is a remote 3CX installation (the server running 3CX is not located in your home)? What type of phone service do you have, a PSTN line (two wire "standard" phone line) or VoIP service? If you have a PSTN phone line, and a remote installation, then you will probably have some issues, as gateways (which you'd have to purchase), do not "play" well (and are not supported) unless they are on the same local LAN as the 3CX server.

#6 leejor, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  7. Anas Penwala

I have 3CX installed on my computer... I have a PSTN phone line... All of them in the same network...

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Do you have a Gateway? You will need one to connect the phone line into the 3CX server, as a trunk. One and two line gateways can be found but they are becoming rare. One of the more popular single line gateways was the Linksys/Cisco SPA-3102 which was discontinued a while back. They can still be found, if you are lucky. I believe that Patton (and possibly some others) makes a two line gateway that also has two ATA's for connecting two analogue telephones. It might be a bit of overkill in your case.

9. Anas Penwala

The Etisalat Gateway router that we have, has a RJ11 connector as well as Ethernet... VoIP phones only have Ethernet. They are all in the same network.

10. Anas Penwala

Will that work? I think it might be the configuration.. Is there any other cheap convertor or connector that I can use here

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You have an RJ11 jack coming from the router, so even though it appears they are providing a VoIP service (between them and your router) , they also supply an ATA so it ends up as a PSTN service at your location. Most provider that do this will not allow you to connect you own device directly to their VoIP service, in other words, if they gave you the server address, user name and password, you could, in theory, connect the 3CX server direct, bypassing the router.

It means you will require a Gateway device.

http://www.tech-faq.com/voip-gateway.html

12. Anas Penwala

Okay. That is something I will try to find but just to make sure that my SIP settings work, can I create extensions locally? Without any involvement of the phone line? So just communication with each other from 1 extension to another?

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, you should have no issues making internal calls. You could also seek out a low cost, or even free VoIP service, although it is my understanding, that in some Middle East countries, there are severe restrictions on many of those services.

It doesn't hurt to ask your provider if you can "bring your own device", if you don't, then the answer is automatically "no". However,in the majority of cases, it is my experience that, in particular, an ISP, that provides phone service through a device that they supply, will want to maintain "quality control" over the entire supply of dial-tone. After all it's to their benefit, and yours, not to have customer complaints about voice quality.

14. Anas Penwala

I am assuming that is where I am stuck. Even with just the phone configured locally, they are unable to call the other extension.

I am working with Ubiquiti in regards to the same. If you have any suggestions, I am all ears.

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You need to determine why this is happening...

Are the sets not being provisioned, do you get dialtone? Do the sets even show as registered?
    Is the call not being processed correctly by 3CX?
    Is an internal dialplan, on the set causing incorrect digits to be sent?

After attempting a call, check the 3CX Activity log, does it show a call being processed?

16. Anas Penwala

To answer all your questions:

It shows as provisioned in the VoIP controller.
    Yes, I get a dialtone
    If they are set on User Based, they won't show up as registered but if they are IP based, they do show up as registered but the issue is the same in both. In User based, it shows up as Registeration Failed (Error 0)
    I am not sure if the call is being processed. I don't think it is because there were no logs in the 3CX activity log.
    No, the dial tone seems fine.

17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not clear as to what the second option (User based) even is, A set registers using it's IP & a port, that is how 3CX knows where to send calls to that set. When you place a call, from a set, an Invite will be sent to the PBX. The call will be either processed, or rejected (for some reason). If you don't see any log, then the set is never actually placing a call, or, is sending the Invite to the wrong IP, or port.

18. Anas Penwala

That's strange because I used the correct information. If a Ubiquiti VoIP user has some inputs here, that might help me a bit to resolve this issue.

19. lneblett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.