uk lines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by _-david-_, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _-david-_

dabbled with open source & are looking to try something diferent,

I' am toying with building a 3cx test system, what is proving to be the most stable way to interface to normal pstn lines & provide caller id, hangup detection ect..... out of the box rather than day of tweaking ?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Almost all Gateways (VoIP to PSTN landline converters) will require changing settings to accommodate your particular phone network. Some settings may vary in the UK even between BT lines and some of the cable companies offering phone service. Unless the device you purchase is made in the UK, for the UK market (highly unlikely), then the default settings will require "tweaking". You may be able you find a local dealer that will do the initial set-up for you.

What I would suggest is to decide which device you want to use, be careful, some of the "older" models don't do caller ID (or at least, UK style caller ID).

There really aren't a lot of single line gateways to choose from. Then spend some time on-line, you won't be the first person in the UK to try to set one up. Others have "gone before" and actually posted county specific settings for some devices on-line.

3. _-david-_

Okay, I'll expand a little...

I have a trixbox running an atcom card,

I have a spare SPA3102 kicking around, whats out there thats better, easier to config & hopfully does both fxs & fxo so I can run modems over sip ?

the 3cx plan is windows xp on a spare dell sc440 & cisco 7940's off the trixbox,

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 3102 will do what you want. Some people have had problems, and become very frustrated setting it up, as there are a lot of settings. Many of these don't need to be changed , or can be changed after you get it working for basic calls. If it has been used elsewhere, do a factory reset before you begin. Anything else you buy will be just as difficult to configure and may not offer the flexibility that the 3102 does. Follow the 3CX guide, look online, to other sites for the UK specific settings.

What were you planning on doing with "modems over SIP"??? As SIP is digital and a modem converts a digital signal to analog (and back) for the purpose of transmitting data over analog, there would really be no reason to involve a modem with SIP, as such. Trying to get a fax machine (analog data signal) to work over VoIP is enough of a challenge.

5. _-david-_

use products in the field which can be accessed via zdx multitech modem's, I reckon we'll still be supporting in 10+yrs ! certian sip providers support data where only at 300 & 2400 baud I reckon it do able as I'am aware of of somebody doing what I intend to do with a working config, who will le me pick his brains.....

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If it works and does what you want it to, go for it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.