• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

(Un)-Technical Question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpinnovations

Reaction score
Alright, So I've been playing around with the VAD for a while, But there is a few things I don't understand. My programing skills are limited to PHP/MySQL/MSSQL + VAD.

Lets say I want to build a basic weather script that reads the following:

Time, Date, Temperature, Forecast, Current Watches and Warnings + An Advert

I have already recorded all of the prompts for the conditions, numbers, alerts, advisory's, adverts etc.. and I already have a script that goes on the web server.

So my thoughts were this;

1. Ask the user for there zip code or do a area code lookup.
2. Use the web service component to read each variable (in a query string) from a web page and select and assemble the proper audio prompts.
3. Play the assembled audio.

However I've run into a snag...

1. I don't understand what type of response the web service component is looking for, Am I to feed each field in XML? How is the output read?
2. How can I dynamically build the audio based on information from that page?

Any guidance on this would be greatly appreciated.

Hi,

The web service component expects to receive the response in XML format, and returns the content of the first element as a string. You need to parse that response in some way to get the right values of each variable (time, date, temperature, etc.). If the response contains fixed length information, you can use VAD functions like LEFT, MID or RIGHT to get the part of the response that you want. If the response has a more complex format, you can use an External Code Execution Component and write a simple .NET DLL or javascript function to parse it.

Once you have each value, you can use a Conditional component to play the right file. For example, a condition branch could check if forecast='sunny', and play the right prompt in that case.

Unfortunately, the current version of the VAD can not play numbers, so you will not be able to easily play for example the temperature... This will be added in future releases.

Hope this helps, and post back if you still have any doubt.

If I have say, the numbers one threw one hundred in a recorded format, Your saying it still wont work or combining two waves to make a phrase wont work?

If you have the wav files you can always combine them to play the phrase you want.
But if for example, you have a variable with the number 123, there is no way in the current version to play it automatically, I mean automatically converting the number to the phrase one hundred and twenty three.
That functionality will be definitely added in future versions, I think this is a very basic and useful need.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MattS
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.