Unable to call by name with Digital Receptionist

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by PERFORMANCESERVICES, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PERFORMANCESERVICES

Hello all,

We are currently running 3CX phone system version 11. Up to this point, we have been using Auto Attendants in Exchange unified messaging for our main telephone greeting, but due to some limitations, I have decided to switch over to the digital receptionist built into the 3CX software. However, when setting up the new digital receptionist for testing, I find that the "Call by Name" option is unable to locate any extensions. When asked to key in the first three letters of the last name, the system always responds with "Extension Not Found". I have checked the extensions in the system, and all of them have the last names correctly filled in. I have gone through all the options and I cannot find anything that is obviously out of order. Strangely enough, the system does find MY extension when I key in my own last name, but none of the other 80 or so extensions can be located. I can only guess that this is because my extension was the first one I added back when we were setting up. I cannot find any difference between my extension and the others. Does anyone have any ideas about what I need to check to get this working?

2. mlump

mlump New Member

The 3CX Dial by Name will only be able to find extensions if they have recorded their Self Identification prompt. Check and see if you have yours recorded when no one else does. If this is the case its most likely your problem.

3. PERFORMANCESERVICES

Is there a way to get to the built in VM menus while the system is pointed at Exchange UM?

4. mlump

mlump New Member

Unfortunately i have no experience with the Exchange UM so im not sure. What happens when you call 999 or 9999 the default 3CX VM extension?

You could always record the names outside of the voice-mail menu then put them in proper location in the file structure. They go in:

C:\ProgramData\3CX\Data\Ivr\Voicemail\Data\%Extenstion_Number%

with the file name "self_id_prompt.wav"

5. PERFORMANCESERVICES

That was it. My extension was the only one present in that data folder. I created a folder for another extension and copied the WAV's from my folder into it, and that extension is now searchable. Can't get to the built in VM prompts using 9999 as these redirect by design over to Exchange. This looks like an oversight on 3CX's part, but it's a pretty easy workaround.Thanks for your help!
    3CX: If you are reading these posts you might want to update your documentation on Exchange UM regarding this issue.

6. mlump

mlump New Member

No Problem, those files don't get played as long as there is only one possible match from the Dial by Name search. If there is more than one possible match it will play the recorded names of each match.

7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Personally - I wish it would always play the name. What if you enter digits to look for SMITH and there is no SMITH (because they didn't record their name or there just isn't one) but there is POGUI (same numbers). It will automatically choose the later... and then the person answers and you are like "OOPS"...

It should always say the name.... even when there is just 1 match.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. jasit

jasit New Member

Craig this can be done very easily,

I updated the CallByName.aspx.cs file to search both first name and last and I also changed it to say the caller name no matter what.
    Copy the CallByName.aspx.cs file to CallByname.asp.cs.orig
    edit CallByNam.asp.cs

search for private void PrepareSecondPage(XmlDocument doc, string input)
    change the if statement
    Code:
    if (list.Length == 1)

to
    Code:
    if (list.Length == 99)
    save it and test.

the whole if statement could be commeted out, but I like to keep code there just in case.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.