Unable to connect remotely

Discussion in 'Windows' started by bm256, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bm256

Hi, I'm trying to use the tunnel to connect (remotely) to my 3cx server, however, although the tunnel connects, the client doesn't actually connect, it just says that the server is unreachable. Could somebody please clarify what this actually means? ...because the server obviously IS reachable if the tunnel is connecting. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems logical)

I've tried both the V6 and the V7 clients, connecting directly works, but for some authentication problems, which is my next question. Clients work fine internally, except for some 1-sided audio (but I'm putting that down to Vista so far), but when I connect direct from externally, it DOES connect, but does not allow me to make any calls, either "internally" or to an outside line, it just says forbidden. I'm guessing it's an issue with my IP address setup, but I'm not sure how to go about fixing it?

And finally, as a side-question, what does "Too many contacts" really mean? :?

Thanks in advance!
    BM

2. galal202

galal202 New Member

Hello,
    I can connect remotely using stun server
    try stun server

3. bm256

Do you mean to use STUN with the Tunnel?

I can use the Direct method (with authentication problems) but not the Tunnel method. It is the tunnel method I want to get working.

4. aesteve

aesteve New Member

Hi,

You must use tunnel without stun. Only the tunnel configuration with the Ip of the remote machine and the Ip of the PBX.

Regards.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. amygoda

amygoda Member

the internal or the external ip

6. discovery1

discovery1 Member

If he is connecting from External it will need to be the External Public IP of the 3CX server.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. aesteve

aesteve New Member

Hi,

there are three parameters.

1.- IP or FQDN = Local IP of the PBX
    2.- Tunnel machine = Local IP of the machine that want to acces remotely
    3.- Remote end of tunnel = Public IP of the PBX

Regards.

8. aesteve

aesteve New Member

Hi,

- I install the version 7 of the Phonesystem under 2003 server enterprise
    - I´m unable to connect remotely with the 3X Client, version 7
    - With the same parameters an the version 6 of the 3CX client work´s fine.

Any idea ?

9. William400

William400 Well-Known Member

Hi

We have seen this issue when a previous Beta build of the V7 Voip Client was used.

Try to create a new Profile in the VOIP Client and redo the settings. If the issue still occurs please send screenshots of the VOIP client config.

Ensure that you have the correct IP settings in the respect boxes as explained in the VOIP Client manual.

10. xu1688

I am having the same issue. The v6 client is works fine but v7 client is not working with the same setting. The manual is seems like for V6 on your web site.

Could you please give us the v7 tunnel setup detail please?

Thanks,

Derrick

11. xu1688

After more testing I have found that I am able to get tunnel connected but unable to register the phone.

12. aesteve

aesteve New Member

I´m having the same issue. If the remote tunnel is a name of a domain, doesn´t connect. If i put the IP directly the tunnel connects but doesn´t work.

Regards.

13. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi

When using 3CX Voip Client through its tunnel, there are several basic rules ensuring a proper connection to a 3CX PBX:

- a such kind of tunneled connection works ONLY with a 3CX PBX - since, in fact, phone's tunnel connects to another 3CX tunnel, of PBX.
    - the one who set phone tunnel's connection parameters, should know the proper ones of the remote (PBX) tunnel. Therefore, for PBX's tunnel:
    - its public IP;
    - its port on which is listening (usually 5090);
    - its tunnel connection ID
    - its tunnel connection password (case sensitive)
    If PBX's admin changes at least one of these parameters, or those specified on the phone's tunnel page doesn't mach, the connection between the two tunnels will not be (properly) established.

Then, supossing there are not any problems due to firewall, routers and so on:
    - if IP or port doesn't match, "pure" network connection cannot be established
    - if IP and port matches, but at least one of connection's ID/pass dont match, then the network connection succeeds, but the handshake/authentication between the two tunnels will fail, and PBX's tunnel will disconnect phone's one on each of such as attempt.

Assuming that all condisitions above are met, then follows the second part - the first part was about tunnel connection, this one is about phone<->PBX through these tunnels:
    - Basically, the tunnels acts just as "pass-throuh" mainly for a SIP connection, like they are not exist, remaining only the phone and PBX. They are - let's say - identified by their local IP and ports, valid on their networks.
    - Therefore, in the phone's "IP or FQDN" field, you should specify PBX's local IP, as it is accessible on its local network. In version 6 of the 3CX Voip Client, the PBX ' SIP port cannot be specified on the phone's connection, it assumes default 5060; in version 7 it is possible.
    If any of these two "local" IP/port does not match, then you have network connection, you have tunnel connection, but no SIP connection.

Finally, there are phone extension's account, auth id and pass, which should match those assigned into the PBX. If they don't match, then you will have network connection, tunnel connection, SIP connection, but no sip-phone connection.

Hope this explanation will be helpful :mrgreen:

vali

14. xu1688

As I posted above that I have no problem by using 3CX v6 client connect to 3CX PBX. Therefore, the firewall, tunnel setting and router configuration should be good.

I am trying to use same configuration on V7 but it is not working.

The differences on V7 is at "IP or FQDN" field, after specify PBX's local IP, I set the PBX ' SIP port to 5060. In version 6 of the 3CX Voip Client, the PBX ' SIP port cannot be specified on the phone's connection, it assumes default 5060.

The problem is even I have network connection, tunnel connection, SIP connection, but no sip-phone connection. I am sure I have correct phone extension's account, auth id and password.

Thanks,

Derrick

15. aesteve

aesteve New Member

I´m having the same problem. In version 6 all the parameters are the same than version 7.

Version 6 works amd version 7 doesn´t works.

The problem is not firewall, or ports, or other settings because are the same.

Regards.

16. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Derrick, Alejandro

I'm quite confused, since I'm not able to reproduce the the same problem as yours :|
    If you said the tunnels are connected, the only remaining problem seems to be PBX' data related - FQDN addr/port, extension, auth. Using voip client ver 7:
    - if auth pin or pass are wrong, I've got in the voip client's displays "authentication failed"
    - if extension does not exist, I've got in the display "Not connected()"
    - if FQDN addr is wrong (in my test valid is xxx.xxx.xxx.102 and i specified xxx.xxx.xxx.103) the phone displays "Not connected()"
    - if FQDN port is wrong (in my test valid is 5060 and I specified 5066) the phone displays remains in "connecting"

The "Server unreachable" message Derrick said is tunnel-connection related - it means that in the voip client's tunnel tab the IP/Port specified as "Remote end of tunnel" does not match the remote (PBX's) tunnel.

vali

17. aesteve

aesteve New Member

Hi Vali,

Are you using Windows Vista ?

Test it with Windows Vista.

Regards.

18. aesteve

aesteve New Member

Hi,

my version 7 under Windows XP works fine. The problem is under Windows Vista.

Regards.

19. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi, Alejandro

I understand now - all tests I've done were on XP.
    However, if you will have a little patience - not much, just a little - soon you will have at your disposal our new 3CX Voip Phone. It comes with a lighter, much easier to configure tunnel, it was tested on Vista (and works), and is (will be) available in both 32- and 64-bits version. As we said already, we want 3CX VoIP Phone be a step further compared to the 3CX Voip Client 8)

Regards
    vali

20. xu1688

my version 7 have problem on both XP/sp3 and Vista sp1.

on XP machine, it is showing "Connecting..." at begining , after a while it shows "Not connected (Server unreachable)"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.