Unable to Send or Recieve Faxes

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bucks, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bucks

Environment:
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    3CX Version 9.0.13373.540
    HP OfficeJet 8500 Pro
    Linksys SPA3102 5.1.10(GW) and Linksys PAP2T 5.1.6

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have configured both devices at per the guides on the 3CX site (the PAP2T was purchased for a different phone but used in this situation to troubleshoot).

The extension registers and a dial tone can be heard, also phone calls can be sent and recieved but the audio is only heard for the first couple of seconds before going completely dead.

I have connected a phone to the same adaptor and I can make and recieve calls with no issues at all - is this an issue with my setup or my fax machine as I haven't got a second machine to test with. I have been using eFax to test sending and recieving of faxes.

Adam :roll:

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You may want to have a look at this link.http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r21056343-pap2t-fax-setup
    It seems that the PAP2 may not be the best choice to try running a fax on. It's a very basic ATA. Be sure that you have the latest firmware.
    http://homecommunity.cisco.com/t5/VoIP-Adapters/PAP2T-Help-Fax-Firmware/m-p/72756

3. bucks

Thanks for your reply...

As mentioned in my initial message, I've also got an SPA-3102 which I believe supports T38 but the symptoms are the same with this device as well.

Adam :roll:

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

yes, but I'm assuming that you are not connecting the fax machine directly to the FXS ports on the 3102 (you can do that) and are going through 3CX to the PAP2 then to the fax machine, so even though the 3102 is even set up correctly the remaining path may not be.. The weakest link in the chain will prevent fax over VoIP from working properly. Since you are not using a VoIP provider you just need to get each end set properly and then passing through 3CX. That may still require a lot of trial and error.

Here are a couple of articles on the subject...
    http://www.voipmechanic.com/faxingissuesandotherdevices.htm
    http://www.soft-switch.org/foip.html

You might, for testing purposes, use the FXS port on the 3102 (set up as a 3CX extension, not tied to the FXO port)as the fax extension. It may, or may not, be able to handle it a bit better.

5. bucks

Thanks Leejor,

I am using a VoIP provider - VoIP Unlimited and have also connected the fax machine directly to the 3102.

Here is the total layout of equipment...

Fax Machine > SPA-3102 > 3CX Server > VoIP Unlimited (ie just using the device as an adaptor rather than connecting it to a PSTN.)

Adam

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Well...that's a different story. It sounded like the 3102 was used as a gateway to a PSTN line. If you are going out on a VoIP provider you need to be sure that they support fax and that you are paying for a fax compatible service. Some VoIP provider will support fax but you have to pay a bit more for that.

What you might try, if you have a PSTN line available, is set up that way I originally though you were trying to get it it working.
    fax->3102 FXS port 3CX extension->3CX->3102 FXO port 3CX trunk-> PSTN line

Before you spend any more time you should talk to your provider to see if they will, in fact, support fax.

You could also try registering the 3102 FXS port directly with your VoIP provider (rather than an extension off 3CX) to see how well the fax works after you confirm with them that they will support it.

7. bucks

Thanks for your help...

I'll give it a try :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.