• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Unifi Ubiquiti phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

simonog

Free User
Reaction score
I have now installed my first (and trial) 3cx system, and it is in the cloud.

Behind our router our current installation is all Ubiquiti desk phones, which we used with our previous pbx. They are not one of the auto-provision phones in the 3cx list.

Has anyone found a simple way to provision manually phones which are not on the list? while having little experience with 3cx specifically, i have configured my own VOIP systems for some years so am familiar wiht the principles.

Any guidance eg pointing me to any documentation for this would be fantastic - i have done various searches to no avail.

Without running an SBC you will have trouble (unless you dedicate and forward ports for each phone). With an SBC, you can manually program the phone to use the SBC as the outbound proxy. This should work.

i've never touched a remote firewall and had STUN work fine.
But after a few phones in a site - it will get tedious.
But also having multiple SBC's at a site can be problematic.

Reactions: Jesse Amos
@simonog

So as far as manually provisioning phones 3CX is no different than any other PBX product. Server is the 3CX IP address, username and password is the ID and Password on the authentication section of the extension settings. You can configure the endpoint to use 3CX as the STUN server or any other STUN server for that matter. With multiple endpoints using STUN you may need to adjust the RTP range for each extension and port forward accordingly or setup a SBC and then manually configure a phone to use that for the outbound proxy.

Where the guys in this string have covered most of the points quite well, I would like to mention that if you are trialling 3CX then you want to experience the full power of the system you should use a fully supported handset:
https://www.3cx.com/sip-phones/

Make sure you have a play with the 3CX softphone as well.

That aside the other option you have with remote cloud systems now also is a VPN connection but you still will need to provision manually.

Thank you to everyone. i am happy to provision the phones manually; so far, my testing has been using the 3CX softphone and it is the success with that which makes me want to try a real phone now

3CX is a very easy system to use, but extremely feature rich and cost effective.

Gone are the days where we should need to manually configure anything, however you will need to do this in this case with the un-supported phones unfortunately.

FYI 3CX supported phones, gateways (FXS, FXO, ISDN etc) are all auto-provision-able from the management console interface it is a real breeze with supported products, and as you have found the softphone is just as easy (Welcome email and QR Code provisioning available).

I'm fine with manual configuration of the desk phones - I wasn't sure what settings I needed. I really do not want to throw away a number of nearly new and very good devices!

No fair enough, I completely understand your reasons, but just keeping you informed of the situation in the event you do more 3CX deployments going forward.

@eddv123: on any other installation, I will look for approved and supported phones. For my trial/pilot system, I just want to get it going!

Quick supplementary question: in SBC, is the Local IP Address that of the server on which SBC is running, or the local IP address of the (in my case) remote 3CX cloud service on its own network?

More specifically to your point, make sure that Extensions->extension #->options->Disallow use of extension outside LAN is not checked. It is checked by default. On my Unifi phones it was Settings->sip service->Sip accounts->add account
Server-> FQDN of server
Username-> extension number
Authentication Name-> random characters in the authentication section of the 3CX extension called ID(I generally change the ones I manually program to match extension number)
password-> just under ID in 3cx extension settings page
Voicemail-> depends on how many digits in extension, but generally 999, 9999 etc.
Thats all that is required to get them working.
I had to manually program this in from the phone as the Unifi phones don't have a web GUI.

Reactions: simonog
Gone are the days where we should need to manually configure anything, however you will need to do this in this case with the un-supported phones unfortunately.

Still manually changing my template to fix Grandstream ringtones...
The Default Ring Tone selected in the Phone Provisioning Tab affects the 'Account Ring Tone'. But the External Ring Tone gets set to a static value of 3.
So users tell me what they want for a tone... They change it on the phone itself, but then it gets overwritten.
3cx should atleast make external match system ring tone, or even give it a separate drop down.
<!-- Matching Incoming Caller ID. Matching Rule 1 -->
<!-- String -->
<P1488>external</P1488>

<!-- Matching Rule 1 Distinctive Ringtone -->
<!-- 0 - system ring tone, 1 - custom ring tone 1, 2 - custom ring tone 2, 3 - custom ring tone 3, 4 - silent. Default is 0. -->
<!-- Number: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 -->
<!-- Mandatory -->
<P1489>3</P1489>

Last edited:
@craigreilly what I am referring to is manual logging into each individual handset and configuring parameters not custom templates.

Custom template alteration I think is still acceptable. I do this quite a bit (albeit for gateways mostly not phones). But in the case of phones it's change one template and fire it out to all, not configuring each individual endpoint.

I would agree though distinctive ringtone is a common request.

More specifically to your point, make sure that Extensions->extension #->options->Disallow use of extension outside LAN is not checked. It is checked by default. On my Unifi phones it was Settings->sip service->Sip accounts->add account
Server-> FQDN of server
Authentication Name-> random characters in the authentication section of the 3CX extension called ID(I generally change the ones I manually program to match extension number)
Voicemail-> depends on how many digits in extension, but generally 999, 9999 etc.
I had to manually program this in from the phone as the Unifi phones don't have a web GUI.
Do you run 3CX SBC or did the phones work without?

Server-> FQDN of server
one other detail - is the server address the fqdn of the cloud 3CX system? if so, how does the phone know to connect via the local SBC server? that makes me think it should be the local SBC address?

one other detail - is the server address the fqdn of the cloud 3CX system? if so, how does the phone know to connect via the local SBC server? that makes me think it should be the local SBC address?

Magic :). I believe in the teach a man to fish method. If you go to settings and then templates and look at a template for a supported phone (such as the yealink t4x) you can see how 3CX provisions phones which will tell you how you should provision yours.

Check out the UniFi VoIP Controller
Yeah my unifi phone has sat on the shelf since I originally bought it back in 2015 and did an evaluation on it. It was very out of date and the Unifi Voip controller wouldn't see it. It's all updated and working now but and I don't know, It's just as easy to provision it through the controller or directly on the phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iTVerse
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.