Unifi UVP-PRO wifi voip

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by RobertKroll, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobertKroll

Good day all,
    Need some guidance... Here is my scenario: I have several people that work outside my main office. Right now, I have to purchase a router for each one, set it up as a VPN with my main office, then they have to take it home, wire it up, change the IP address of their existing router, disable Wifi on their cable router and then call me when it all goes wrong.

So, what I did was purchase laptops for my people and I put software VPN on them. Then I purchased one of these fancy new telephones from Ubiquiti figuring I could use the laptop as a proxy back to the main office. Then I noticed that 3cx doesn't support a proxy server anymore. I am looking for the easiest way to set somebody up on the road with the least interaction from me as possible.

If you have some insight, I appreciate it greatly.

Have a great day,
    Regards,
    Bob

2. sean.suntelnetworks

Um, V14 does support an SBC. I have the download from the ERP portal.

3. site

SBC in V14 is extremely simple and works great

4. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I guess it depends of what the need really is.

If there is a need for the remote people to have access to internal systems then a VPN is the way to go. But, I got a little lost when you indicated in one area about taking it all home and then in another area "on the road".......the question being if they are truly mobile or simply remote at a static site. I was having a hard time thinking about someone lugging around a UBNT phone.

One option you may consider is simply using the 3CX phone for Windows and loading that on the laptop. If the laptop supports Bluetooth, then they may be able to use a suitable headset to provide for some level of freedom of movement. I have used a Jabra Pro 930 Dect with success as it provides a much longer range than Bluetooth.

Conversely, if access to internal company assets is not needed thereby avoiding the VPN, the softphone can still use its own in-built tunnel....if needed.

As an aside, which model UBNT did you select?

5. Saqqara

Saqqara Well-Known Member

Why not use the 3CX Smartphone or configure a remote handset using remote stun http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/provisioning-a-remote-extension/

Use Yealink handsets using remote stun without any issues

6. RobertKroll

Thank you for the insight guys, I am still kicking it around a bit.

I think I misspoke regarding "On the road". The problem I had in the past was that I gave the individuals a SonicWALL router with VPN set up along with a laptop and a Yealink phone. These people are not "tech savvy" and it always ended up as 4 hours of telephone support and quite a bit of teamviewer until it was working properly.

I just wanted to see if I could set up SBC on the laptop and have the wifi telephone automatically connect without having a mass of wires floating around.

I have been too busy to really explore any REAL solutions yet, but I am going to take what you guys offered and see if I can come up with something first chance I get.

Long live Forums... Thanks for the help and I will let you know what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.