Unlocking Vonage ATA adapters for 3CX

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ciscotech2007, Mar 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ciscotech2007

Arggg. I wil post later but I finally got my Vonage ATAs unlocked and working on 3CX. What a huge pain in the butt. And theres still much to do after 4 hours of hacking. My post will cover;

Most Vonage Locked ATAs such as RTP300, PAP, PAP2 and VTA.

Again.. what a PAIN IN THE BUTT. I will post faster if people post interest in this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. ciscotech2007

ok.. i could have bought a grandstream handytone or SPA3102.. but I can get these ATAs for 5-10$... at that low cost, it's worth trying to fiddle with them a little

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

There are a number of different sites (blogs) that people have posted to regarding unlocking Vonage (or others) ATA's. One of the problems is that the unlocking methods can vary greatly (or not work at all) depending on the version or firmware of the ATA and/or if it has been used with a provider previously.

4. ciscotech2007

ok... so after testing and testing I have come to the conclusion my vonage ATA (VTR) specifically just is not stable enough. First, it could be due to my firmware version 1.008 but even AFTER firmware updates and clearing configurations the ATA still trys to 'phone home to vonage'.

The prompts even with the latest firmware are unclear and do not make sense. I was able to get both FXS lines(2) to register with my 3CX but making configuration changes like changing the SIP REGISTRATION timer caused the FXS SIP lines to lose registration with 3CX and not re-register at all. Changing the value back to default brought the registration back but thats not acceptable.

In my environment stability and reliability are key. Picked up a SPA-3102, reset the unit, updated with latest linksys/cisco firmware and it came right online. Plus if I need a FXO in the future I can use the SPA as well. Though I hear this 3102 is not as reliable as the pattons.

I was not that into legacy integration(FXSs and ATAs) and 3CX but I was excited getting to learn about the Snom M3 and WIP310. Both are similar units in that they provide wireless SIP ip hardphones, the linksys WIP310 via WIFI (802.11g) and the Snom M3 via DECT standard to the M3 base station which is connected via network plug on the back. Appears the M3 would be good if you do NOT have wireless network infrastructure available or deployed at your site. While the WIP310, working on WIFI, would be a great choice in wireless infrastructure environments because it communicates via WIFI Access Points.

But the only thing is, both are not cheap and both have downsides. The M3 has limited range from the base, and the WIP310 is relatively new and has some bugs to work out in my opinion. So a cost effective solution I came up with was a UNIDEN DEC 6.0 3 wireless handset telephone system ((1)base station/(1)phone+(2) handsets/(2)charging stations)). Then use an ATA to connect this sytem to my 3CX system.

Here's what my solution looks like, pretty nice looking if you ask me.

[​IMG]

We primarily use the system's IP hardphones such as our Cisco 79XXs and Polycom 330's and 550's. But sometimes there is a need to have a wireless handheld when working in the server room or warehouse or etc.

Caveats:

(a) entire wireless phone system registers as (1) extension. When calling that extension all handsets ring indicating an incoming call. First to pickup 'answers' the incoming call, anyone after that on another extension can 'join' by simply pressing another handset's 'connect' button.

(b) Since phone system is one registered extension, only (1) phone can make an outgoing call to another destination.

(c) You cannot achieve INCOMING intercom or paging from the wireless system since from what most people tell me ATAs do not support INCOMING intercom or pages

(d) DECT wireless does not interfere with my current wireless cisco infrastructure, and range appears better than reported WIP310 and M3

(e) Turned off wireless system's voicemail

(f) While you CANNOT call INDIVIDUAL wireless handsets from 3CX extensions, the wireless phone system does support intercom and paging BETWEEN the wireless system's handsets. So I cannot dial a INDIVIDUAL handset in the system without all ringing but if I am on (1) of the wireless handsets I can dial another wireless handset in the wireless phone system.

Phone system on sale for $65 (local Fry's store)
    Linksys SPA-3102 $20 (local seller)

So, $85 and some gas to the store and now I have SIP wireless ip hardphones, actually......for $85 I have THREE.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.