Unplugging one PC stops the Gateway from picking up calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bertarecchia, May 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bertarecchia

Hello.
    I'm stuck again....I know...
    I just noticed that whey i turn off or unplug my pc ( the one used to setup the whole system ) the grandstream 4104 stops picking up phone calls. As soon as I plug the Ethernet cable everything works fine.
    I think ( due to my limited overall knowledge of this system ) the 3cx system thinks my PC IP address is the local network.

I assigned static IPs to my network device and the Grandstream has xxx.xxx.xxx.102. The PC has .100 and the provisioning + the management console has the .100 everywhere.

I tried to change the network IP in the management console but it won't let me. Everywhere it shows the .100 ip is grayed out.

Am I approaching this correctly? Should I change the local network IP of the setup and maybe use the router's IP? If so, where?

Thanks!

Grandstream 4104
    DLink router
    multiple PCs

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Re: Unplugging one PC stops the Gateway from picking up call

Mr Stone Panel (again)?!?!?! Never happy are we? Magic Jack and ALL!!

The Grandstream is nothing more than the Gateway to your network amd more importantly to the 3CX system. If you turn off the system (PC) where 3CX resides, then there is nothing for the Grandstream to do as it can no longer communicate with the 3CX system.

If it could answer, the only thing it would do is simply take the line off hook, thereby giving the caller nothing but dead air time.

The provisioning, myphone, and management console will all point to the IP address where the 3CX system is installed (apparently your PC). This is correct. The management console is web based and accessed via a browser. Some features are not accessible from the management console as 3CX wants you to manage the more critcal features via the Windows Management Console located on the system itself. Go to the system where 3CX is installed and hit start, find the 3CX folder located in all programs and expand and you will see both Management Console and Windows Management Console.

I do not think you need to change a thing in the settings; simply leave your system up and running. If your PC is not the system hosting 3CX, then we have a different story and more questions.

3. bertarecchia

You're life would be so boring without my "duh" questions.

It makes sense. Something has to run the 3cx system.

That's the most succinct and clear answer I've read in a while. Thumbs up.
    I still think the 3cx manuals are fragmented and hard to put together for beginners.

1- I shouldn't have said my PC. I set it up from my laptop, which I take when I travel..... live and learn. :roll:

2- So if I want to re-install the system on the actual PC that the receptionist uses, would I make a mess reinstalling everything?

Thanks ...........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

If you could make a backup and reinstall on the receptionist and give that machine the static private IP of the original install - it would make it a whole lot easier... :)

In a perfect world you might have a small Atom machine dedicated to the Phone System - or maybe something beefier depending on the number of extensions.

5. lneblett

I agree with Craig. Just make sure you change your IP first so as to not cause a duplicate, then change the target machine to that which you previsously had and do a restore from a current back-up. You also need to make sure that the operating system is supported, so no Home versions.

6. bertarecchia

The receptionist PC is a home version, mine is pro but what kind of backup are we talking about? The whole OS backup and clone it?
    Alternatively, can I just change the IP on the laptop and install the 3cx on the new one, giving it the my current IP?

7. lneblett

A backup of the 3cx system. Backup the 3cx system on your computer. The backup is a zip file. Change the ip on your system to some unused ip. Put your old ip into the target machine. Copy the zip file backup to the target machine. Download and install 3cx onto the target and when asked about being a new install or restore of system, use restore and browse to the zip file you copied. Do not use any windows home version. They are not supported

8. bertarecchia

Ah, THAT backup.
    Since it's a windows home edition I have to reinstall 3cx on the new machine from scratch.
    Thanks again.

9. lneblett

No, same process as I outlined? You can restore to any machine as long as the OS is supported. Not quite from scratch, as the restore will eliminate all the reconfiguration.

10. bertarecchia

Right, you said don't do it if it's a windows home version. The only ones I can install them on are windows 7 home editions.
    So that leaves me no choice.

11. craigreilly

Sounds like a windows anytime upgrade is in store for 1 of the machines...

12. bertarecchia

Really? Is that much of a pain reinstalling the 3cx system on a new machine? Some Win upgrade can go wrong.

Anything I need to worry about installing 3cx on a new machine, from scratch?

Thanks.

13. craigreilly

It is not a pain - the issue here is the Operating System you have available.
    3cx will not run on a Home level OS.
    You said the only machine you had Pro on was your laptop.
    You also mentioned you wanted to put this on the Admin machine. To do that - you need to go to the Control Panel on the receptionist computer, then select 'Windows Anytime Upgrade' and pay for an update to Windows 7 Pro.
    Maybe even Amazon (you need to check what version of Home you have - Premium/Basic): http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Anytime-Upgrade-Professional/dp/B002JYU5WI

Once you are running a compatible OS, you can move on.

14. bertarecchia

Geez, I though you guys were talking about OS issues with a backup. That the backup won't work with Home machines.
    It's the actual 3cx that won't work on.

Sorry but it turns out that both machines use Windows 7 Home Premium. ( i got confused between Pro and Premium ). Both 64 bit. I guess 3cx does run on home versions - maybe because of the x64.

I guess I can try the backup with a x64?

15. craigreilly

doesn't hurt to try...
    Looking at the manual - it doesn't actually say NO HOME VERSION.

So - you should be good to go. Remember
    1) Make backup
    2) Change IP of Laptop
    3) Change IP of Admin to IP that Laptop Had
    4) Install 3cx on Admin
    5) When prompted restore from backup

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It can't hurt to try, worst case scenario is that you have to delete 3CX from that PC.

I find this statement interesting. It says "not supported" but that doesn't mean it doesn't work. I don't use a fixed public IP, I do use DynDNS, and have not yet run into any issues. That's not to say that others will have the same experience.

I always take statements like, "not supported", to mean, "you are on your own, if you choose to go this route".

17. lneblett

This links should clear the question about OS:

http://www.3cx.com/blog/docs/supported-windows-versions/

From my personal perspective, using an unsuppported version of hardware or software is a risk. While you may get lucky and have a flawless experience, you might also experience the opposite. Should that occur, you have decreased your odds as most will not be running an unsupported OS.

18. craigreilly

Seems the manual and the blog have differing opinions.

19. bertarecchia

It looks like I need to keep using version 9 ( 3CXPhoneSystem9.exe which I saved). The version 10 stops supporting the win 7 home premium.

This weekend I'll test the move/backup.

Thanks guys.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.