Unregisters after 30 min (almost exactly) & task disappears!

Discussion in 'Android' started by Bob Denny, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Droid Incredible, FroYo/2.2, 3CX Android 1.3.4, Tunnel in use, WiFi in office 100% solid WiFi connection, other WiFi dependent services on phone working fine. No problems with incoming or outgoing calls. LOCK WIFI ALWAYS. Registration Timeout 300, Keep Alive Interval 60.

After almost exactly 30 minutes of inactivity, the PBX reports the Android unregistered. Despite this, the ball in the title bar is GREEN. Selecting this via pulldown results in the phone app appearing, Tunnell Connecting... then Registering... then it's registered again. Just the same as though you cold started the phone. Hmm... So on a hunch, I opened up the almighty System Panel app (**NOT A TASK KILLER** - I do not have a task killer!) and went through the two lists of tasks (active and inactive). To my surprise, 3CX was NOT IN EITHER LIST. In other words THE 3CX PHONE APP WAS NOT EVEN AN INACTIVE TASK.

Apparently, after 30 minutes, the task is exiting and leaving the green ball on the taskbar and when you pull it down it says Account Active! Tapping it results in the app being STARTED, at which time it goes through the usual cold-start process of starting up the tunnel then registering thru the tunnel

I searched and found several rambling threads on this, and none of the reporters seemed to be able to piece the evidence together coherently, so I thought I would report all of this in as clear and concise a way as I could. Bottom line: This makes the 3CX phone useless as I cannot receive incoming calls.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Re: Unregisters after 30 min (almost exactly) & task disappe

I have had a similar issue only when using the tunnel in the current version, so, I reserve it for any situation (travelling) where I can't register without. Which means, outgoing calls only.

30 minutes it the default time that 3CX expects the extensions to re-register, after that time it assumes the set has disconnected.

If you are using it in the office (I assume on the same LAN as the PBX), why are you using the Tunnel? Just testing?

3. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

I use it in the office because, with my topology, I can't get a reliable conn otherwise. See details in my OP on this thread.

http://www.3cx.com/forums/one-way-audio-surprise-ipad-1-1-4-to-v10-switch-23970.html

So no matter what I try, I still cannot use 3CX softphone for SIP. Dang it. Android disappears, iPad one way audio.

I'm convinced that all this pain is due to unreliable STUN. What we need is to be able to put in a list of about 1,000 STUN servers and pop an error if no STUN resolution can be done instead of simply silently failing to establish 2-way audio after trying one STUN server. STUN is a horrible hack, but it is what it is.

:) Can you tell I am discouraged? :)

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

STUN servers do, on occasion go down, but it is very rare. There are lots out there to choose from, if you are having problems that you attribute to STUN server reliability then simply change to another, if the problem continues then it probably isn't a server fault.

To see if the STUN test is doing it's job only requires you to check the registration log (of the device)in 3CX. If it shows the correct public IP, then STUN resolution would be assumed to have been successful.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.