• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Updates Alert

Status
Not open for further replies.

optixuk

Platinum Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
At the top of the UI I see an alert in red that there are 71 updates available.

There's a long list of phone firmware updates that I'd like but I cannot be bothered to work through them all individually scrolling up and down to download each one. I should be able to tick the ones I want (or select all) and hit download.

There's also a whole set of stuff that is of no interest such as all the other language files. I should be able to mark these as "ignore" in order to clear the alert on the UI to advise of these downloads.

Trevor

Yes good point - We know about this problem.

Basically we dont want users to download all firmware files (it is unlikely that you have all these different types of phones in your network) so we dont want backup sizes to increase and have files you dont need on your server.

This is the reason why the select all button is not enabled in some places (These places are the ones that either contain big or many files)

About the other point you mentioned, yes we also agree with you that there are some updates that you will never need - simply because you do not work with those components. So there will be a way in the final version to mark these as updated.

Hi Nick

I fully appreciate why you disable "select all", but I should be able to tick as many as we need and then download in a single operation rather than having to do this individually.

Thanks

Trevor

Which section of the updates are you referring to?

The firmware updates where the screen jumps back to the top every time you tick a choice.

Trevor

Fair enough - You have a point there. But we see things from a different perspective.

It is the exact same spot where we do not want users to download either all at once, or sequential downloads or blindly update all.

The contents of this page are mostly large binary files, unrecognized archives and weird extensions, from all the different manufacturers and models.. Plus there is a process that checks the integrity of the firmware and downloading all on slow connections will give timeouts.

It is a procedure that works with a "slow but sure" approach. 1 corrupt firmware and phone (or many phones) can get ruined. That place is not a place where you rush.. When you go and download the firmware file from the manufacturer's website you dont select all and update. You select the phone, enter some details, wait, and it downloads. This is the same thing.

Trust us - be patient in that page - Go through the page slowly, select one that you need and download it.
Wait,
Go again and select the other you need.

You will be doing this once every 2-3 months or even more - it is not that bad.

I guess we have no choice, but that is a real pain when we have at least 9 different phone models internally. Heaven knows how many we have on our hosted platform, I hate to think.

Trevor

You are assuming that all 9 manufacturers release a firmware for each model on the same day?
I mean the real pain is to go on the manufacturer's website, find out what you need, and start filling up forms and creating user accounts to get a firmware for a phone that you paid for already.. That's a real pain - but no one complains about that.

Some manufacturers design websites that require you to have a PHD to understand what firmware you need to download - giving you a hundred different options - split, combined, whatever .. We are putting it all on one page, all tested, with a click of a button.

Also it is wiser to not have a pbx with 9 different models.. have 2 or 3 models from the same manufacturer.. Exec phones, medium management phones and entry levels. Why you need 9 different models? Pain to test, deploy and maintain.. And if you have 9 for a customer then fine ok - once every month, you will have a firmware.. The chances of you getting 9 new firmwares on the same day are very very small..

Hi Nick
Like so many things, if we could start from scratch we'd have 2/3 different phone models. However we build up a system with a lot of extensions over many years and end up with numerous different phones.
My personal opinion is that I should be trusted to go through ticking the firmware I need and then download 1,2 or indeed 9 different firmware versions as a single task. Your way will not stop us using 3CX, it just seems an unnecessary hassle.
Trevor

For now it has to work like this - due to technical limitations described in this thread... We will see what we can do later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.