Upgrade Cisco 7940 to SIP

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by joshhough, Jun 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joshhough

Hi,

Bit of assistance required. I've never managed to get this to work and i've got round to trying again. I have 3CX v12, followed the guide to convert a Cisco 7940 to sip down to a T, the problem i have, i can't for the life of me get the phone to seem to download the files correctly.

It sees the TFTP server ip, because it says 'opening 192.168.0.99' (being my TFTP server) and then just goes back to 'configuring IP address'

Theres no firewall on the server.

Any thoughts?

Josh

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have you tried a reset on the set...# held down just after power up, then wait until line keys begin to flash, release, then press 123456789*0# ?

In the tftp server, do you see any sign of files being requested? Do you use Pumpkin, is the window open? Checkmark in the box, lower right corner? Default (tftp) directory was set to the file location?

3. joshhough

Hi,

Interesting, managed to make progress. Disabled Windows Firewall (major D'oh moment), it downloaded the files, then said that XMLDefaultcnf.xml was not found, now, its gone back to hanging on Configuring IP.

uplugging power, plugging it in and holding the # never seems to make the line keys flash...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Once the phone has the SIP firmware, it should be looking for two files that 3CX will populate once you have created the extension number specifying the model and MAC address of the set. They are SIPdefault.cnf and SIP(macaddress).cnf

If you see the set trying to get a file that starts with SEP, then that is also an indication that it does not have the SIP firmware.

I'm assuming that you put all of these files downloads.3cx.com/downloads/misc/CiscoOS79XXSIP.zip into the same directory where the set config files also reside.

I've been "playing around" with several of these sets, as time allows, with mixed success.

5. joshhough

It's a bit of a nightmare really, my concern now though is that it just wont budge from configuring IP.

It's like its somehow bricked itself. It's not making any TFTP requests anymore either

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Did you try the factory default reset for the phone?

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice-unified-communications/unified-ip-phone-7900-series/15254-7960-default.html

7. joshhough

I have yes, but the issue is as it boots, only the mute light comes on red, not the Headset or Speaker, so that doesn't work (i've sat here for 2 minutes with my finger in the # key)

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I just hold the # key right after power-up, then release when the line keys begin to sequence. then release and key in the string

9. joshhough

Hmm, this doesnt seem to happen with mine. At no point do the line keys flash....

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Sorry, these sets are still relatively new to me and I haven't had a lot of time to devote to them, so I don't know what to tell you. In dealing with just a handful, I have seen slightly different LED behaviour. It may be a hardware, or original firmware difference, that is causing this. For all I know, the sets may be faulty.

Hopefully someone with more experience can chime in.

11. joshhough

Hopefully as they are really good phones, just annoying to work with!

12. joshhough

OKay, so i've managed to un-brick the handset. no idea how.

This is what i'm getting from PumpKIN:

'OS79XX.TXT@ of type 'octet' is requested
    >> 1: File not found
    'XMLDefault.cnf.xml' of type 'octet' is requested
    >>1: File Not Found
    'OS79XX.TXT@ of type 'octet' is requested
    Transfer of 'OS79XX.TXT' has successfully completed
    'SEP0023339DA895.cnf.xml' of type 'octet' is requested
    'XMLDefault.cnf.xml' of type 'octet' is requested

Any ideas? Because i can clearly see that xml file is there (not the default one though)

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I may be wrong as I haven't had a great deal of experience with these sets...but as far as I can figure out, if it is looking for a SEPXXXtype file, it is not running SIP. It should be attempting to download two files, each beginning with SIP. One has the sets MAC address, such as SIPXXXXXXXX.cfn (I think it's cfn), and a file called SIPdefault.cfn

14. uno1

Hi There!

I'm also experimenting with a CISCO 7940G. The problem that occurs its trying to download files starting with SEP or CTLSEP and ending with XML. So obviously as far as I can read in this topic you guys are saying my phone is NOT running SIP firmware.

How do I get SIP firmware on the phone? I've put all the firmware files form the 3CX manual in my provisioning server but it obviously does not pick up those firmware files form the TFTP (pumpkin).

Any advice on getting these devices to run SIP? I guess that if the right firmware could be loaded the phone will start requesting the correct configuration files. TFTP seems to be functioning OK. Also tried the key sequence for resetting this device to factory default.

Kind regards,

Patrick van Kampen

15. joshhough

Ah, i'm glad somebody else is having the same issue.

I spoke to 3cx who said that the phones first have to be flashed with the SIP firmware, but this confused me because their download appears to have the SIP firmware.

So i tried to get hold of it, and unless you have a support contract for the phone, you can't. However, there are websites where you can 'Acquire' versions. The versions that i managed to get though look just like what the 3CX download contains, so i ran them and it still didn't work.

It's like we're missing something, what we're missing i have no idea though.

Josh

16. 3cx-newb

Yeah, I am in the same position, my phone is looking for SEP and not SIP, but it appears as if I have SIP firmware on the phone.

Just in case, here is a link to the thread I made: http://www.3cx.com/forums/7961g-43472.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.