Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Upgrade Firmware across SBC

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by bluetel2, Oct 16, 2015.

Upgrade Firmware across SBC 5 5 12votes
5/5, 12 votes

1. bluetel2

bluetel2 Member

Hi

we have some installation with SBC. It will be good that upgrade firmware can be do across SBC serveur.

Tks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Randall likes this.
  2. Duff Man

3. 3CXDude

3CXDude New Member

4. Randall

5. Neturius

6. nickloenders

7. Paul@ISO

8. Adraenyse

I'm literally watching a phone do a firmware upgrade behind a SBC right now. So why can't it be done? GXP2160. I didn't have to do anything different than if the phone was local.

9. Paul@ISO

Do you have a VPN between your sites, or are they 100% disconnected LAN-wise? The problem we have is when pushing the firmware updates over the WAN. Unless there's some special (undocumented) ports we need to open on the firewall that serves the SBC end, this doesn't appear to be currently supported.

#9 Paul@ISO, Nov 13, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  10. Adraenyse

Well darn, no, not currently 100% separated as I'm still deploying this client, I guess I'll have to try it again once it is. That's a let down.

11. Bronston Hansen

Um, I'm a bit lost here as well. My 3CX is hosted on AWS absolutely no VPN connection or anything else other than plain old internet and SBC's. I actually had to fight with my 3CX server just a few days ago because it kept downgrading the firmware automatically when I was trying to push out a bug fix. Grandstream GXP2130's if anyone cares. I ended up modifying the firmware files on the server and the related xml files and let the server do the upgrades via SBC.

Am I misunderstanding the goal here?

12. Adraenyse

It would appear that it doesn't work for some people I guess. Not sure what the official stance is on it, but I can't understand why it wouldn't just pass through the tunnel like anything else.

13. Adraenyse

So, I deployed my first SBC site tonight. I plugged the SBC into the network, factory reset the phones, they all popped into the system via the SBC (to Lightsail). Provisioned them all, 3cx complained about their firmware levels, upgraded them one by one. Good to go.

One caveat: You have to keep an eye on the phones and make sure not to start the firmware update on a 2nd phone before the first one finishes. Otherwise what starts to happen is the first phone is just getting around to downloading the firmware, but gets locked out of the file because only one phone can be given exclusive rights to the firmware file at a time. So I had a few gxp2160s stuck in firmware updates. Power cycling them and being patient resulted in a fully rolled site.

14. Paul@ISO

And your 3CX server was located behind a completely different firewall on a completely different public IP? Or was your server, SBC, and phones all on the same network and just separated by VLANs?

15. Adraenyse

The server is on Lightsail. The SBC uses the 3CX FQDN .. it couldn't be more of a textbook install. There's no black magic here. I don't control the network at the client site, in fact, I went specifically with the SBC so I could turn on encryption and use TCP just so the local router couldn't screw with me by trying to ALG me.