Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Upgrade from 14 to 15.5

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by pukkainc, Feb 15, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pukkainc

Is there a guide somewhere to help me with this?

2. pukkainc

Thank you. I did a search for "upgrade" but didn't find anything. Probably didn't go back far enough.

3. apostolis_3CX

apostolis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Long story short..

To upgrade from a previous version of 3CX:
    Make a backup of your current configuration using the 3CX Backup and restore tool.
    Tick the options to include in your backup, then choose where to save your backup. Warning: Do not choose to store the backup inside any of the 3CX Phone System installation folders as these folders are removed during the uninstall process.
    Uninstall the current version from the “Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features”.
    Now download the 3CX Phone System v15 of choice.
    Proceed with the installation.
    Restore your configuration when prompted.

Notes:
    From v9 and v10 you must upgrade to v11 SP 4a first, then to v12 SP 6.1
    From v12 SP 6.1 you must go to v12.5 first. *
    From v12.5 SP2 you can go to 15(.5) *
    From v14 you can go to v15(.5) directly.

Backups from previous versions can only be restored during the installation of the pbx.

4. pukkainc

Thank you!. One more question. I am setting the new version up on a completely new server. I assume the process is the same except I just skip the uninstall part and just move to installing on the new server? Then I just change my DNS for the FQDN to point to the new server? Do I have to do anything with the license?

Thanks!

5. apostolis_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

You can install 3CX using the same licence on a new machine, just make sure that the original installation is not running as you cannot have 2 instances with the same licence running at the same time.
    Your licence key is bound to your FQDN so when you use that to install on a different machine the same FQDN will be used unless you manually release the FQDN from the key.
    Having said that below are the steps you need to follow.
    • Make a backup and do NOT include license key information and FQDN.
    • Turn of the old server or even better uninstall the 3CX PBX.
    • Install to the new server using the backup previously generated and your license key (the current FQDN bound with the license key will be auto-selected)
    • *Please have in mind that the DNS propagation will take up several hours to complete.

6. pukkainc

Thank you very much, this is very helpful. Will DNS update itself or do I manually update it?

7. apostolis_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

If you are using a 3CX FQDN then no. It will be automatically updated with your new public IP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.