Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Upgrade from 7.1 to 8.10116

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by brianp, Dec 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brianp

Hi All,

We are planning on upgrading to the new v8 phone system. I was wondering if anybody has feedback/gotchas to watch out for.

Current Configuration:

-3CX Phone System v7.1
    -3CX Soft Phone v4 (all users are external via TUNNEL)

Current update plan:

Backup v7.1 phone system.
    Uninstall v7.1 phone system.
    Install v.8 phone system.
    restore 7.1 backup to v8
    install 3CX Assistant and Phone on all machines
    configure 3CX Assistant/Phone for external users via TUNNEL.

That's the plan. Am I missing anything? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

2. KerryG

KerryG Active Member

You forgot somewhere in there "Make a sacrifice to the VoIP Gods" just for good measure. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. brianp

I'm doing my VOIP God dance as i type this....HE HOOO HOOO HE HOOOO HOOOO. :lol:

4. drac

Thats why some installs don't go that smooth... just forgot to sing that song :)

5. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

If 7.1 was already working on his machine i dont see why 8.0 wont work.

This is the real song to sing when doing these kind of upgrades: http://www.chodecircus.com/area51/
    That's the only way to ensure a smooth upgrade.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. aveiser@veiser.de

Its a good idea to restart the entire system, after uninstall 7.1!

7. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

That too, especially if you are using IIS which requires a restart of the IISadmin service and it's dependencies.

8. brianp

Good point. I'll be sure to restart after uninstalling v7.1. Thanks!

9. Ricambi America

Our upgrade was 100% seamless.

1) Backup
    2) Uninstall V7 entirely.
    3) Reboot (why? Why not!)
    4) Install V8 and restore old data
    5) Reboot
    6) Voila !

10. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

The real "Villains" wont appear for a while until they get to work with the phonesystem :p
    That's what happens in these Happy Ending Upgrades :p

Also just a small sneak peak of the future:
    Although Major Version release Upgrades will need to be done manually, here's a nice tool that's coming in the future. Not giving any more info on this since nothing is official yet :)

Attached Files:

11. Ricambi America

Maybe your comment is lost in translation, as web forums sometimes 'flatten' our humor. We have been running the upgraded v8 for several weeks, and had zero surprises.

12. LeonidasG

LeonidasG Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Ah so there are people who have no problems with their installations :p

Answering support tickets all day and seeing so many threads on the forums makes you think that everyone has trouble with the pbx.

13. Ricambi America

Keep the faith my friend. Nobody sends a support ticket to say "Thank you" -- they only contact you when there's a problem. So, by definition, you're buried in the problems all day long. Trust me, 3CX works absolutely great, and each successive release is a big step forward in the application.

I'm not sure which is worse... a customer with a broken PBX system, or a customer with a broken Ferrari. I deal with the latter every single day, and it's pretty brutal at times. Customer service is a tough job -- but you are the face of the company that can change an upset customer into a lifelong business partner.

:)

14. quico

Dear All,

I´ve been yesterday night upgrading from 7.1.7139 to 8.0.10116...My drink, my music...and after reviewing the 3cx Kevin Attard video
    and following all the recomended steps: 1)backup, 2)uninstall v7, 3)reboot 4)install v8 and restore old data 5) and reboot....all seems perfect at 5am. and I went to sleep
    but,
    this mornig at 9:02am 1st operator call...can´t hear me 9:05 manager call...can´t her him 9:10 the director called to my cellular and informed me that the 3cx system is malfunctioning
    neither the extensions nor tunnel works properly.
    and I rebooted 1time....2 times....3times.....nothing to do and back to version 7.1.739.

Your help on this matter will be highly appreciate,

Thanks in advance

Quico

15. Ricambi America

You have the *NEW* tunnel software, correct? There is a specific proxy mgr needed for V8:

http://wiki.3cx.com/downloads

16. quico

Thanks a million,

I´m missing (not only myself) 3CX official step by step procedures for beginners in order to avoid unpleasant situations.

I´ll keep you posted

Kind Regards,

Quico

Ps: I´m considering seriously to Make a sacrifice to the VoIP Gods as KerryG suggested...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.