Upgrade testing - v14 to v15.5 - issues with FQDN and license key

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Peter OKeefe, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter OKeefe

I have a license for 3cx, and before upgrading my live system from v14 to v15.5, I want to test importing my own SSL certificate (GoDaddy) in my "test" 3cx install, which does not have a valid license.

I have backed up my config, uninstalled v14, installed v15.5, and I've started going through the steps. If I include my v14 config (which has the license key "3CXP-FREE-EDIT-VE14"), I am able to enter my own FQDN (although it throws an error at the end about my license key).

If I manually edit the XML file and put in my "PBX Edition" key for v15.5, and re-upload it, it will not allow me to enter my own FQDN, it only allows me to pick a 3cx-hosted one. (I've also tried uploading the config with the free v14 key, allowing it to read the license info, then hitting back so that I can enter a new key - same result).

I want to test this to document the steps for the SSL Cert (multi-domain) so I won't have any issues when I do the live upgrade (currently planned for this weekend), but I cannot get past this step.

I can confirm my key is not tied to any specific FQDN, it is a brand new key.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

With PBX edition key you may use only 3CX supplied FQDN and SSL. This is a limitation by design.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

4. Peter OKeefe

Is there any way to get a key to test our own FWDN and certificate (even for just a few days), without having to pay $149 for the cheapest Standard license?

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I don't think so, but I don't quite understand what you want to check. Make sure that the cert/key files are non-encrypted key files and a valid pair.
    Also, if you aren't sure if the cert/key pair is for the FQDN you will be using, you could use the following openssl command:
    Code:
    openssl x509 -noout -subject -in cert-file-location.pem
    Generally, have openssl available when you are doing the install, and even if you do run into a problem regarding cert/key type, encryption type, etc, you can use openssl to convert from one type to the other. Even I don't remember the commands by heart, but I assure you google what you want from openssl and in the first 5 results you'll find it. ;)

I understand where you're coming from. you want to see it working live, but as that doesn't seem possible, hopefully this is the second best solution.

6. Peter OKeefe

I just feel more comfortable testing every possible aspect of an important piece of software such as this, before fully deploying it. I tested as much as I could with the free version, and even then we have had some issues with paging (I upgraded over the weekend). I opened a separate post for this.

Thank you for the info on openssl, I was confident the cert would be ok - it's a multi-domain cert and we've installed it on our other servers in the past few weeks without issue.

I wonder if it would be possible to obtain a special key tied to the main key, that unlocks the same features of 3cx for a small period of time - 2 weeks maybe? - just for testing.

7. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You would have to talk to a 3CX Sales rep to see if that is at all possible (and I'm not saying it is). You can find the contact details 3CX Sales here: www.3cx.com/company/contact

Explain the situation to them and they will be able to advise if something is possible.

8. Peter OKeefe

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next time I upgrade, lol. It's not necessary now that the upgrade is done.

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Have you seen the private message I sent you with idea to apply for 3CX reseller ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Peter OKeefe

Hi yes I did, thank you for the suggestion! I wasn't sure if doing that would give me enough time for testing (once receiving it) once I determined how limited the free version was. I will definitely keep this in mind for next time, especially if my other idea doesn't pan out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.