Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Upgrade testing - v14 to v15.5 - issues with FQDN and license key

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Peter OKeefe, Dec 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter OKeefe

I have a license for 3cx, and before upgrading my live system from v14 to v15.5, I want to test importing my own SSL certificate (GoDaddy) in my "test" 3cx install, which does not have a valid license.

I have backed up my config, uninstalled v14, installed v15.5, and I've started going through the steps. If I include my v14 config (which has the license key "3CXP-FREE-EDIT-VE14"), I am able to enter my own FQDN (although it throws an error at the end about my license key).

If I manually edit the XML file and put in my "PBX Edition" key for v15.5, and re-upload it, it will not allow me to enter my own FQDN, it only allows me to pick a 3cx-hosted one. (I've also tried uploading the config with the free v14 key, allowing it to read the license info, then hitting back so that I can enter a new key - same result).

I want to test this to document the steps for the SSL Cert (multi-domain) so I won't have any issues when I do the live upgrade (currently planned for this weekend), but I cannot get past this step.

I can confirm my key is not tied to any specific FQDN, it is a brand new key.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer!

2. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

With PBX edition key you may use only 3CX supplied FQDN and SSL. This is a limitation by design.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

4. Peter OKeefe

Is there any way to get a key to test our own FWDN and certificate (even for just a few days), without having to pay $149 for the cheapest Standard license?

5. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I don't think so, but I don't quite understand what you want to check. Make sure that the cert/key files are non-encrypted key files and a valid pair.
    Also, if you aren't sure if the cert/key pair is for the FQDN you will be using, you could use the following openssl command:
    Code:
    openssl x509 -noout -subject -in cert-file-location.pem
    Generally, have openssl available when you are doing the install, and even if you do run into a problem regarding cert/key type, encryption type, etc, you can use openssl to convert from one type to the other. Even I don't remember the commands by heart, but I assure you google what you want from openssl and in the first 5 results you'll find it. ;)

I understand where you're coming from. you want to see it working live, but as that doesn't seem possible, hopefully this is the second best solution.

6. Peter OKeefe

I just feel more comfortable testing every possible aspect of an important piece of software such as this, before fully deploying it. I tested as much as I could with the free version, and even then we have had some issues with paging (I upgraded over the weekend). I opened a separate post for this.

Thank you for the info on openssl, I was confident the cert would be ok - it's a multi-domain cert and we've installed it on our other servers in the past few weeks without issue.

I wonder if it would be possible to obtain a special key tied to the main key, that unlocks the same features of 3cx for a small period of time - 2 weeks maybe? - just for testing.

7. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

You would have to talk to a 3CX Sales rep to see if that is at all possible (and I'm not saying it is). You can find the contact details 3CX Sales here: www.3cx.com/company/contact

Explain the situation to them and they will be able to advise if something is possible.

8. Peter OKeefe

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind for the next time I upgrade, lol. It's not necessary now that the upgrade is done.

9. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Have you seen the private message I sent you with idea to apply for 3CX reseller ?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Peter OKeefe

Hi yes I did, thank you for the suggestion! I wasn't sure if doing that would give me enough time for testing (once receiving it) once I determined how limited the free version was. I will definitely keep this in mind for next time, especially if my other idea doesn't pan out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.