• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Upgrade to SP 4 Failed - SOLVED/FIXED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimstigator

Reaction score
Hey there,

Tried to upgrade to SP 4 last night and it failed. Checked out the log and it stated the eventlog.dll file was in use and couldn't be replaced. How can I free this up? I rebooted the server before the upgrade, as I applied a few Microsoft patches. What else could be keeping it in use?

Thanks!
Jim

Re: Upgrade to SP 4 Failed

What sp were you on before?

Can you do a backup?

If so, perhaps you can do the backup, download a new, fresh copy of 3cx which will include sp 4, uninstall your existing instance and then install and restore.

If memory serves, there were some cases where you could not go from A to C without also having done B on the sp releases. Not sure that is your case, so thought the prior answer would cover it no matter the case.

I am on 3 and would like to think I have gone through each version.

How risky is what you propose? It scares the shit out of me to uninstall the entire thing and re-install, especially when its working great. I do have a backup, both by the 3CX backup tool, and full server backups.

-Jim

Jim
I came across this in the Blog. I have not yet upgraded to sP4 but thought I would pass it along:

"Still had to use processexplorer to find 3cxeventlog.dll under a svchost and kill it during upgrade, failure to do this means the upgrade fails arnd rolls back."

http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-phone-system-v11-service-pack-4/

Wow good find. Call-in support told me to reboot the server... that did nothing.

Thanks!
Jim

Anyone do this yet? I haven't gotten around to it but I assume the fix is just killing the two processes via task manager once I start the upgrade?

-Jim

Wanted to let folks know I resolved this using the instructions someone posted in a blog post. I have no idea why this isn't a problem for more folks... I know of two other folks with 3CX systems who are having the same issue.

3CX told me to stop the "Windows Event Logging" service which isn't the fix.

To complete upgrade if you get the error stating "3CXEventLog.dll" is in use:
-Backup 3CX using 3CX Backup and Restore Tool
-Download and run "ProcessExplorer" by sysinternals
-Do a search in ProcessExplorer for "3cxevent"
-Results yield three places this .dll is being used
-Right click and kill each, one is a scvhost, other two are 3CX related
-Upgrade as planned
-Reboot server to get everything started again

-Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FJL
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.